In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Great Tip for speed loading Cap n Ball revolvers

xtremebeautyxtremebeauty Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
If you don't have extra cylinders you can pre-load, this is a great tip. I found this tip years ago for simplifying loading my 1858 Remington and my 1860 Army. Take magicians flash paper (usually available at magic shops or online) and fashion it into a cone shape around a dowl and glue edge with a thin bead of Elmer's Glue.

Put in your grains of black powder, then a wad (I use round cotton wads sized for my 44 cal. chamber), then the lead ball. Glue the flash paper around the diameter of the ball. Now you have a pre-made paper cartridge that completely burns up when the revolver is fired.

I carry them in a small pouch I made for them. It greatly speeds up re-loading and I don't have to carry my powder flask.

Comments

• steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    That is a really good idea! I've been toying with the idea of using cigarette paper, but I'll definitely look into the flash paper (didn't know it existed until now).

p.s. The Kentucky pistol that I bought from you is GREAT! Thanks again!
  • xtremebeautyxtremebeauty Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you like the pistol and the tip. I never knew about this site until recently. I'm glad there is a resource here for black powder enthusiasts.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The flash paper is nitrated, you can make your own. You need sodium nitrate. Make a solution of the nitrate (potasium nitrate might work too) soak the paper in the solution and then allow to dry.

test paper carefully to avoid burns or fires. Paper should burn completely and quickly.

When loading the revolver tear the breach end off the paper cartridge for surer ignition.

Try different weights of paper.

Paper cartridges can me made for many muzzle loaders.

Bite and tear cartridges do not need to be nitrated as you bite the end off the cartridge and pour the powder down the barrel and then stuff the paper and ball in the barrel.
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • xtremebeautyxtremebeauty Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's true about using the tear off paper cartridge which works quite well. I used them for my Brown Bess. I just liked the idea of the paper burning up and not being shot out of the barrel of the pistol upon ignition.