In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black powder ballistics

AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does any one know an internet site where I can get some general info on this? We have a cow elk hunt this fall, and I would like some ideas about what loadings would be good. Currantly I've been sighting in with 2 50 gr. pyrodex pellets and a barnes 250gr. expander bullet. I want to go with a lighter load if possible for my wife, but need the the power for possible 150+ yd. clean kills.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    You want the best of both worlds, it ain't gonna happen. IMO 150yds is a bit far for an end stuffer, let alone trying to do it with less recoil, you MIGHT make the 150yd kill shot, but it takes a fair amount of powder to do it. I have killed elk here on the west coast, which are larger bodied than your Colorado elk,with 95grs of FF Swiss and a 50 cal patched round ball out of a 34" Green Mountain barrel, at 70 to 100 yds. I suggest you and your wife learn to stalk a little more, or if terrain doesn't permit, hunt in the modern season. Elk are hard to put down, you owe it to the critter and to yourself to have enough gun and load to be able to end the hunt humanely.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest magnum loading and only the best bullets. The Barnes is an excellent bullet but may expand too quickly on an Elk at that distance.

A Hornady Great Plains Bullet at max velocities would be a better choice IMHO.

If she is sensitive to recoil, a Limbsaver recoil pad, or Past shooting shield and plenty of practice is the way to go....

Do NOT underload a muzzleloader when going after large game, especially at the distances you're thinking of.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello AZhunter, the load you list is about the minimum load I would consider for Elk. They are big tough animals and muzzleloaders do not have the same shock effect as centerfires. I do not recommend round balls on big elk as I shot one at 10 yards behind the shoulder and it failed to penetrate the offside lung. This elk traveled 200 yards after the shot but depending on where you hunt 200 yards can be in a very bad place. I have shot elk with round balls, big lead bullets and sabots, and the sabots show much better killing and shock power. (shock power described as the elk not moving after being hit) For recoil reduction you may be able to install a mercury reduction device in the stock or have her muzzleloader magnaported. A friend of mine did both of these to his Hawken himself and noticeably reduced recoil. He had two barrels so he drilled small holes in one just with a hand drill. He then cleaned up the holes inside with a jewelers file. He did have an accuracy loss after drilling but the file work restored it. If magnaport does muzzle loaders I would do that instead. Its difficult to find good ballistics tables for muzzleloaders but this site has a lot of information. www.randywakeman.com
  • AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the replies. As someone who is new to muzzleloaders the more info the better, and getting it from friends might not be the best source.
    The barnes bullet is a saboted round,and We will both be useing inline rifles. My wife uses a 30.06 for the regular season, so she is used to recoil, but with the easy ability to adjust powder charges I was hoping to go easy on her.
    Would a heavier bullet be a better choice? I haven't seen lighter ones for a .50.

Oh, and thanks for the link.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Azhunter
    Thank you all for the replies. As someone who is new to muzzleloaders the more info the better, and getting it from friends might not be the best source.
    The barnes bullet is a saboted round,and We will both be useing inline rifles. My wife uses a 30.06 for the regular season, so she is used to recoil, but with the easy ability to adjust powder charges I was hoping to go easy on her.
    Would a heavier bullet be a better choice? I haven't seen lighter ones for a .50.

Oh, and thanks for the link.

If she is used to a '06 that big magnum 50 will not bother her.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a 300 gr Nosler Partation bullet for elk because deep penetration is important on Elk. (I hope non of those politics guys reads this [:D]) Im sure this bullet comes in smaller weights that will recoil less.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For muzzleloading or any black powder rifle I think caiber is the thing = big hole and fast bleed out - I shoot elk with a .54 and 220 gr round ball at under 100yds - ball has always passed through and they expire quickly when hit through both lungs. My Lyman Great Plans Rifle will shoot 10 RB's into 4 inches at 100yds with iron sights. I don't load hot, just 100gr of real BP