In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage 10 ml

derfhunterderfhunter Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I am thinking of buying a 10 ml.
Other than not having the accu trigger, is there any other disadvantages of the 10 ml verses the 10 ml 2

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 10ml is not considered a "muzzleloader" by ATF, it is considered a modern firearm.
    The 10ml2 is considered a "muzzleloader."

The older 10ML2 does not have the Accutrigger. I bought my ML2 five years ago and it does not have the Accutrigger.
    I don't miss the Accutrigger, I get 1 1/2 inch groups and my Savage is a deer slaying machine. It is the deer Terminator.
    Most guys like the Accutrigger, although some have trouble with it in real cold weather, the gloves can interfere with it.

For the other differences why don't you ask the experts at:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
  • derfhunterderfhunter Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can the trigger be adjusted on the savage like the 700 triggers?
    Also I am getting a bare 10ml with no accessories or manual ect.
    What all do I need to have before I can try it out? Also where is a good place to look for the vent liner,take down tool ect?
    edited November -1
    Yes that trigger is adjustable. I have mine cranked down real low and I don't know what advantage I would gain from the Accutrigger. My fierce Savage hits the whitetail like the Hammer of Thor!

Simpler is better I say, and my trigger is simpler than the accutrigger.

As to your other questions go to that link and ask away. I know a lot about the Savage but those guys are the experts. In fact the guy who invented the rifle is a member, his screen name is "One Shot, One Kill." You may get to talk to the Master, himself, he is a great guy, lives in North Carolina like I do.
    It is a great forum and they are very kind hearted to rookies.
    If you do get a rifle with no manual you can get all your questions answered on Doug's forum. The ignition on the ML is very different from the ML2 and the ML is Greek to me.

I know you are saving a bunch of dough by buying a six or more years old rifle. From what I know I would say look around for a ML2 but half of what I know I got from Doug's Savage forum.
    edited November -1
    Allen
    I have noticed that most 10 ml shooters use 45 cal bullets.
    I have a lot of 44 cal 240 gr. XTP bullets. Have you tried 44 cal in your savage. Also I have the green harvester sabots. Will these work for a milder practice round.

I looked at the site you recommended with lots of good information. I registered but they did not send the password to me so I can not post on it yet.
    edited November -1
    The .44 with the green sabot will not work.
    edited November -1
    OK I posted your question over on Doug's forum.
    My name over there is simonkenton.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you use Winchester primers on the Model 10 ML. I had a real bad experience with Remington primers with this gun and they are not recommended. I don't know Allen but he is very wise to this gun he helped me get my Savage hitting hard and the gun is very, very accurate. I used Pyrodex pellets and Powerbelt bullets for the first season and they work in this gun and are accurate but with Allen's help and guidance on this forum I now get the real power and accuracy out of this gun using 43 grains of Vihtavouri N110 powder, Hornady 250 SST bullets, and MMP sabots .451-.452 size, and Winchester primers a must for this gun. That is what you need to use to respect the power and accuracy of this fine gun. That set-up was given to me by Allen Griggs and it works for me. Thank's Allen for all your help in getting the most out of my Savage and I hope you don't mind me sharing this set-up with another rookie Smokeless powder Savage shooter.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!
    I ended up getting a stainless 10 ml-11. Now all I got to do is figure out what loads I want to start out with and get a scope mounted.