In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 in 48 Twist - Good for round balls/minis???

tonygrztonygrz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hi,

New to this forum. I purchased a BP rifle with a 1 in 48 twist because I didn't want to shoot sabots. I prefer round balls and mins. Will this twist be OK for RB/Minis ??

Also, if I buy pillow ticking for wads what do I use to grease the ticking?? Will bore butter be OK??

What size balls/mini's do I buy for a .50 cal if I use ticking ??

I know it's a lot of questions, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for your replies.

Tony Garza
tonygrz

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do like the old timers. Use a combo of mutton tallow and beeswax for patch lube.
    Haven't killed any sheep lately? Buy a can of Old Zip from Dixie for 4 bucks, one can will last forever.
    I use it, it smells good, too.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3689

Yes your rifle will do well with patched round balls. I have killed lots of deer with my T/C Hawken, using patched round balls.

Try .490 round balls. There are different thicknesses of pillow ticking and there are different diameter .50 rifles, you should be able to make the .490 work. If it is too loose, get some thicker pillow ticking, also available at Dixie.
  • Options
    twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just bought a green mountain .45 w 1/48 and it is extremly accurate. when i shoot my .50cal i use a .490 with .010 to .015 thick patches. i soak my patches in the following receipe:1/4 cup murphys oil soap,1/2 cup of liquid dish soap, 8 cups of water. this makes a lot so i cut it in half. keep it out of the sun. or you can go 1/3 murphys oil soap,1/3 rubbing alcohol,1/3 pyroxide(any amounts you want,just the same for each).i shoot with a guy that just chews his patches before he loads.another thing is if you go to rendezvous,some of them wont let you shoot a lubed patch
  • Options
    tonygrztonygrz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank Twin60s and Allen Gregges for the great advice. I'm going to try both tick wetting/greasing ideas and see which works better. Really looking forward to shooting the rifle. I have a 75 Yd range out my back door so I can shoot something and then go into my gun room and come out with something better/worse. Will give you a range report when I get all the stuff together.

Thannks again,

Tony Garza
    tonygrz