In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Replica Revolvers

bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
I have seen the letters "COM" and "PR" on some replica blackpowder revolvers. Does anyone know what these mean? They are on Italian made guns. The "PR" I have seen on the butt of FIE revolvers and the "COM" on guns simply marked "Made in Italy".

Comments

• Options
    LEE3370LEE3370 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bprevolver,
    I have exausted everywhere that I can find trying to find out who made the revolvers with the PR on the butt.
    If anyone out there knows for sure what the PR means, PLEASE share it with us.
    Lee
    2sb4t9w.jpg
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I realize this is an old post but this may answer your question:

According to this website http://en.comuni-italiani.it/034/039/index.html the City of Tizzano, Italy is located in the Province of Parma, whose abbreviation is "PR". Within the city are various localities which include Pietta. Therefore, Pietta-made firearms may be stamped "PR" for the Parma Province.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spider, were there any other firearms manufacturers in this city? The only revolvers that I have seen the PR on are brass framed replicas of lower quality like FIE. The PR mystery has plagued me for 15yrs.

Also, what about the GB logo found on the EIG revolvers?
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BP revolver/Spider.

I've just come across a brass framed .44 cal 51 Navy, left barrel flat says 'Cal.44 Army Model 1851'; right barrel flat says 'Black Powder only Made in Italy' Date code for 1972 and normal Italian proof marks on frame. Bottom barrel flat under the loading lever has serial number that matches underside of frame. Bottom of backstrap has 'JANA' inside a box. Any idea who made it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bprevolver
    Spider, were there any other firearms manufacturers in this city? The only revolvers that I have seen the PR on are brass framed replicas of lower quality like FIE. The PR mystery has plagued me for 15yrs.

Also, what about the GB logo found on the EIG revolvers?

Since FIE was the Miami, Florida importer and not the manufacturer, I still suspect their revolvers were made by Pietta. I don't know about the "GB" on EIG (the importer) but I'll see what I can find out. The closest I found was "CB" for the Province of Campobasso and "BG" for Bergamo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    BP revolver/Spider.

I've just come across a brass framed .44 cal 51 Navy, left barrel flat says 'Cal.44 Army Model 1851'; right barrel flat says 'Black Powder only Made in Italy' Date code for 1972 and normal Italian proof marks on frame. Bottom barrel flat under the loading lever has serial number that matches underside of frame. Bottom of backstrap has 'JANA' inside a box. Any idea who made it?
    Hi, Ken - "JANA" was the name of an importer in Denver, Colorado, who imported blackpowder firearms from Spain and Italy. I suspect your gun was made for them. The exact Italian markings may help to identify the actual maker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider.
  • Options
    LEE3370LEE3370 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider for the FIE info. I have been looking a long time for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LEE3370
    Thanks Spider for the FIE info. I have been looking a long time for that.

You're welcome. Their actual name was "Firearms Importers & Exporters" (FIE), located in Miami, Fla.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ken44-40, did you buy the revolver marked "Jana"? In 15yrs. of research into the replica percussion revolvers I have only seen one marked "Jana". It was a Scneider & Glassick in .36cal. marked "Jana" on the Butt and the Euroarms-Brescia markings on top of the barrel. The Armi San Paolo manufacturer's logo is under the loading lever. Better hold on to that one, it is very rare and a collectable. As previously stated I have only seen one in 15yrs. and I bought it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim,

The JANA '51 Navy belongs to a friend of mine. He's had it a looooong time & wanted to shoot it. The trigger spring was broken and he asked me if I could fix it - which I did. Upon closer examination, there is a badly struck (only about half of the mark is there) Armi San Paulo DGG in a circle makers mark on the underside of the barrel half hidden by the loading lever.

I'll pass the info to the owner.

Ken
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just an update on the JANA '51. Talked with the owner today when he came by to pick it up. Seems he bought it in 1972 when he was at Fitzsimons Army Hospital in Aurora CO. He seems to remember he got it from the Rod & Gun club there for around $50 - but, being like the rest of us that were around then - he's not for sure.