In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

smokeless in Oncore

addicted1addicted1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I've heard alot of people are shootin smokeless powder in their thompson Center encores.
I've also heard people say that it is not dangerous because if there is excess pressure from to much or the wrong type powder it will just blow by your sabot?
Any thoughts

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my only thought is why? they shoot good with pyrodex and bp why take a chance on hurting yourself or ruining your gun?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't do it.
    If you want to shoot smokeless get a Savage.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judging from pistol, rifle, and shotgun nipples I've seen, those threads don't look any too strong.
    They look like the weak link even in a modern steel firearm.
    I'd hate to have one blow out and go through an eye.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by addicted1
    I've heard alot of people are shootin smokeless powder in their thompson Center encores.
    I've also heard people say that it is not dangerous because if there is excess pressure from to much or the wrong type powder it will just blow by your sabot?
    Any thoughts

Pick up a Savage 10MLII and look at the breech with the bolt and compare it to the breech in the Thompson. The Savage is built for the pressures of smokeless, the Thompson is not. The Encore is a great gun, I would like to get one but it is not a 10MLII.

Just shot my new 10ML last Sunday. tried it with both Pyrodex and N110, 300 gr. Hornady XTP HP and MMP black Sabots. I love that gun!
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DON'T DO IT

There is a reason that TC doesn't advertise that you could shoot smokeless powder out of their rifles

besides that if you live in a state like CO that doesn't allow you to use smokeless powder in a muzzle loader while hunting you are wasting your time
  • Options
    addicted1addicted1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feed back. But I went ahead and shot smokeless in it, and it shot great,2 shots one ragged hole at 50 yards using 46 grains of Reloader 7 and a 223 grain Ballistic tip platinum powerbelt. This was with a .45 calibur barrel with the old style breech plug. I would not have tried it with the speed breech.
    This load was worked up by a buddy and he has been using it for two seasons now.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pay your premiums on your life insurance, and especially, your disability policies.