In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel rusting

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
Okay gents,
I pulled my CVA Mag Hunter 50cal BP inline off the wall a couple hours ago. My intention was to give it a good cleaning before taking it to the range later this week to check on the accuracy of the scope.
Now, I haven't fire this gun in two (2) years and had been running an oil soaked patch down the barrel every four (4) or six (6) months. Honestly I can't remember doing it in the last year. I got all the cleaning gear set up and pulled out my bore light and saw that the barrel was dry and rusted all the way to the breech plug.
Cleaning started w/the disassembly of a choreboy scrubbing pad cut into 1in. chunks and lubing them w/Hoppes #9. I shoved six (6) wads of these as tight as I could get them in the bore,some I had to nudge repeatedly, then followed that w/twelve passes w/a 50cal brush wrapped w/ Hoppes soaked patches. I then used an old sock cut up into patch size and run it down the barrel to dry up the barrel. I then run four (4) sock patches wetted w/rubbing alcohol and have let the barrel dry. I just run my bore light into the barrel and it looks like the sub-frame of my '94 Pontiac Transport before I traded it in, still rusted and pitted.

Question, can this be smoothed out and might it affect accuracy?

When I last shot this gun I was getting 1in. groups @ 100yd from a rest outside edge of hole to outside edge. Shooting 295gr Powerbelt areo-tip bullets w/150gr Pyrodex pellets. The same set up I'll use for this fall's ML season. the gun doen't like anyone sabot rounds.

I was hoping to use this gun for this coming PA muzzel loading season.

CVA used to have a forum board and when I last shot this gun I couldn't get onto the board so I haven't been back there. I went to Conneticut Valley Arms.com and they don't seem to have a forum board anymore or I would've asked directly there.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is just my 2cents, I am sure it will affect accuracy as to the cloverleafing in the same holes but at 100 yards it still should 2-3 inch or maybe still as god as new. I have an old 54. cal that is pitted, didnt know it at time, it would grab the patches on the way down and either pull them off the ball or make donuts out of them, both ways it made the round balls come out sort of like a knuckle ball. accuracy was all over the place at 50 yds. now that I know it I went to power belts and reduced the powder and I can keep them in a softball size area out to 75-80 yards good enough for where I hunt, as I rarely shoot over 50 yards. Don't give up on it till you try it out and if you have to try new bullets and charges.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks hillbille.
    As I read the reply I was thinking I might go back to CVA and see if I can buy a new barrel for my gun.
    After my sight-in later this week I guess I'll know more. maybe report,too.

One of the vendor/drivers I see at work told me of a product a friend of his, who shoots mostly BP, was using. Some sort of product that you apply to a warmed barrel and let dry/cool then wipe off the access. For over a year this guy has had no new rust build up on any of his BP guns and won't leave fingerprints on the barrel. This vendor/driver couldn't remember the name of it but was going to find out and let me know of it. He said the military uses something similar on their guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This driver I mentioned just e-mailed me w/the name of the product.

It is Militec by Militec 1.

now to find it and buy some.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think bore butter is about the same type product.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your first mistake was using Pyrodex.. I know I'll get a crap load of complaints for saying that, but the stuff is worse than real BP. Switch to APP or Jim Shockey's gold, or 777.
    Second, how did you clean it after you shot it? Soap and water, and vigorous scrubbing, is the only thing that will neutralize Pyrodex. Don't trust the other specialty products that say they're for BP and plastic sabots. It may get the plastic out but not the powder residue (salts). Your wife's dish soap is much cheaper also. What ever you did, did not get the pyro residue out and it's very corrosive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last time I used it I got home, broke it down and went to town on it w/hot water and Dawn dish soap ( it was handy )scrubbed w/a brush, let dry, run the bore w/a patch of rubbing alcohol, the a mop soaked w/ motor oil. I initially used a bore butter but was told it was just a lube not a protectant and give it up.

I shamefully forgot to keep an eye on it in the last year.

Earlier today I emailed CVA customer service about buying a new barrle for it. It can take 72hrs or more for an answer.I can wait.

Was 777 around then? 'cause I don't remember seeing it back then but I shopped a limited area then, too.

I guess I'm one that learned the hard way.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you cleaned it right, I use Dawn also. The only thing I would question is the motor oil. It has lots of additives that we don't need in a gun oil. Regular gun oil would be ok. 777 has been around for at least 3 years and Jim Shockey's Gold (aka American Pioneer Powder) has been around a lot longer. Great stuff, cleans up with 1 or 2 patches of plain water, virtually no residue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well,
    I e-mailed CVA yesterday and inquired about purchasing a new barrel for my particular BP rifle.
    A response was suposed to take 72hrs but I got one this afternoon.

It will cost me $89 for a new barrel w/shipping. I shall sent a order out in a couple weeks.

And then take better care of the new barrel.