In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1897 shotguns

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
i have been looking for an 1897 shotgun, i wanted an original but i they seem to be overpriced right now. i have a norinco on the shelf of my store right now but i just dont know if they are worth it either. does anyone have one? i would like to know how well they work for cas. i have been shooting for about 5 years and have been using a baikal 12 ga 20" with hammers, i can shoot pistol and rifle as fast as anyone in my state but i take almost twice as long to load cock and shoot my shotgun. i dont mind spending money for quality but 500 bucks for a used winchester that may or may not work i just dont know about.

Comments

• Options
    TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd give the norinco a shot since their affordable and geared toward the cas crowd. But $500.00 isnt too bad for an original either and it probably will work and give a lifetime of service. Good luck
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have an original 97 that I shoot at the trap range once in a while, it' a take down, as most are, and works just like a new one.
    Send me an email from my profile.
    W.D.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been able to get originals right here on Gun Broker for $300.00 or under. just have to keep looking.
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Winchester will be faster unless you have a Norinco action-jobbed. Besides the Winchester is an investment. I have fired at least 1000 rounds out of my 1924 vintage '97 and it belonged to a cowboy shooter before me. You just cant kill em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i think i got one that will be alright. it has been reblued(i dont care, its not an investment for me its a shooter) and looks like it has nice wood. any one know where i can get a buttplate for it?

here it is: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98624248

what do you think of it?
  • Options
    twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy:i just bought a new norinco 97,had an action job done on it.($120.00)and it jammed after 75 rd.s at the buff stampede shoot in new mex.It's at the gun smiths now ,after installing 3 different ejector springs.all would not eject 50% of the time....it's at the gun smith's and he can't figure why it's not ejecting.I will miss a shoot this weekend....I'm 2 steps from buying a sxs and learning how to fling hulls and stuff tubes...china gives us junk again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    two gun, it was actually your thread on ask the experts that made up my decision to buy the original instead of the norinco(which i have on the shelf in my store). i have been shooting sxs with hammers for years and they are fun but its hard to be competitive with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Twogun,
    If you decide you want the real deal, there are a bunch of original 97s out here in my neck of the woods, they are all reasonably priced. If you are interested let me know and I'll list them on the auction side.
    W.D.
  • Options
    dar50dar50 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well the winchester is the way to go.. i have seen the norincos in my shop and i do not like them. the quality is way down a good old 97 will just keep on working for you
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two-Gun- some insight from a former USMC Armorer - I only know the original-never stripped or even shot a Norinco- you have an ejector- but there is also an extractor-what make shells are you using? I'd start there- trying them in another shotgun that you know functions properly- the original Browning designed M1893-revised to the 1897 has the open breech reward bolt travel design- if the shells check out, I'd check for burrs, etc. on both the receiver cuts- called "raceways" by some-and the mating areas on the bolt undersides- also, did your gunsmith qualify the headspace, the receiver ring? Both the M97 and the M12 had "take-up" set notches- 9 in total- 3 engaged at a turn- to compensate for wear on the "take down models" OG
  • Options
    sharkdbsharkdb Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Century Arms.
  • Options
    TheBroke1TheBroke1 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Folks As I am new to the forum on GUNBROKER but have made a few purchases, I would Like say I am the owner of a Winchester Model 97 in the original RIOT GUN form and this is a great shotgun!! I have had mine for about 15yrs & have run about 100rnds threw it with out a flaw ever. I am not into the cowboy action but would love to watch this in action. I never realized there was a market for these old shotguns, mine still has quite a bit of blueing and the wood is good for the age of it. Are these models still considered a modern Firearm when it comes to buying & selling them? As I am not up on that end of things either!! It sounds like a person could find a happy home for one by the amount of traffic you all generate on this Cowboy Action Shooting. If any of you could help me out with directions to a shoot near Libby, Montana I would love to bring the family to an event near my home town!! Secondly I would like to see someone in these events end up with the one I have as it mostly collects dust in the gun safe anymore. I have never sold anything on GunBroker, and if there is an interest in it. I would like someone to walk me threw what I need to do to list this thing on GunBroker for someone in the Cowboy Action reinactments as I would like to see it in the hands of apprecition and care. So if there is anyone out there that has the time to help me with listing this, It would be greatly appreciated. I recieved this in trade from an old friend that had to have an AK when uncle Sam decided we should put a ban on these and he had to have one for his survival storage and a boat load of ammo. So as it is I have some attachment as he has passed on but I feel it deserves a home, with one of you all that appreciates what Winchester did for this country in its glory Days. So if some one has the time and could walk me threw a listing I would be happy to put it out there for one of you that wants the real thing. I can Guarantee a Quality model 97 RIOT GUN. I thank you all for your ear and am hoping someone can help me list this so it will go to the right hands and be ENJOYED!! I also want a list of your events near NorthWest Montana as I cannot wait to see these events in Action.[?][^] Thanks Again, TheBroke1 (lescin@libby.org)
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help you much with finding a club in your area, but this site can. Just do a search and it will give you any SASS affiliated clubs in the state.

http://sassnet.com/

As for your old 97, you call it a riot gun...but is it a trench gun with the bayonet lug? If so, they aren't SASS legal to use.

Hope this helps some!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello There,R D Henry, Thought I would get back to you since you were good enough to drop me a line on the Shoots in my part of the country. I guess I will just have to look into this some more or if we make a trip posibly plan it around an event somewhere. As for my model 97 it is an origanal Riot gun, It has some history on it as the old gentleman I got it from bought it from a sale it must have been some government sale as it was used at the SingSing Pent. as a guard weapon. As for a bayont lug there is not one on it. But it is quite a shooter as I have run 00 and 0 threw it and once tried it at skeet shoot there wasn't a bird I could not bust with it, But I had to be right on them. After that one time with it they asked that I not use it as it was not sporting according to a few! I'm sure if they had been the ones with the clean score card and the 97 they would still probably be using it. It is a fun piece but I have more than enough to use with out having to try and wear this old jewel out. Like I said earlier I would just as soon see it in the hands of one of the SASS people. I am sure it would see a good home and be someones pride and joy. Well Thank You Again, Its good to see somebody that enjoys these things. Tell next time, TheBroke1quote:Originally posted by R D Henry
    I can't help you much with finding a club in your area, but this site can. Just do a search and it will give you any SASS affiliated clubs in the state.

http://sassnet.com/

As for your old 97, you call it a riot gun...but is it a trench gun with the bayonet lug? If so, they aren't SASS legal to use.

Hope this helps some!
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Norinco and an original Win 97. The Norinco is my match gun, it has never missed a beat and is as smooth as silk, but like any 97, it took alot of work to get it there. My original is smooth too, but not like the Norinco gun. Price wise anything less than $500 would work for me, but I would want to buy it from a Cowboy who has used it at a match. One thing I've learned about 97's is newer is not better. The last few years they were made the tooling at Winchester must have started to wear, the shotguns were no where near as well made as the older ones, and the machining wasn't as good. In the last year I've owned five of the take down models, I buy them for about $300-350 slick 'em up and sell them for $475 to $525. The best one I've sold didn't have any bluing left on it, and one of our local snooty cowboys turned up his nose at it, but the Cowboy that bought it, loves it and is doing well with it. I also own an 1887 lever shotgun and two SXS's, one with hammers and one without hammers. I use one of the SXS only when stage design makes it easy to use a SXS. Stay away from the Remington Spartan unless you know a good gun smith.

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the middle of the country and every farm auction with guns seems to have an original model 97. (or two) One auction house has a sportsmans auction twice a year and always has 2 to 5 of them. Many are not great quality, but I've probably bought 15-20 of them in the past 8 years, cleaned, repaired, and sold them to CAS shooters. Now I know a CAS gunsmith who wants them, even if just for parts, so if I get them cheap enough I just sell them to him. The better, functional ones, have increased in price in the last couple years, but it kinda depends on the crowd. You get yea hoos who pay outragous prices for crap, and other times nobody seems interested and you'll get one for $125.
    Newly manufactured parts are readily available, so even a * can be fixed up pretty good. Used to be a lot of original parts on that other auction site till they banned gun parts.
    I'd definitly go with an original.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Travis,
    I still got that original 97 if your interested. email me at:
    vikkib@earthlink.net
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I see there have been a few posts since I've been away and around a computer. The old 97 I have is a origanal Riot Gun its seen a little use from me but not much. And if anyone is interested in it I will list it with some help as I have not been down that road before. Theres a general reason I started out as TheBrokeOne. I have been interested in firearms a long time and the safes show it. And I rarely ever sell one. So if one of you are interested please let me know. Les lescin@libby.org