In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

flintlock powder

DESDES Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
Can I use jim shockeys powder sticks ,in my T.C. flintlock?

Comments

• Options
    dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shouldn't be a problem, you just can't use the sticks in the pan [;)]
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DES

DES,

TC sidelock muzzleloaders have what's called a patent breech. This means that the path for the touch-hole or flash-hole (whichever you call it) does not lead directly into the barrel but to a powder chamber in the breechplug. That breechplug screws into the barrel past the point where the touch-hole enters the barrel, so a powder chamber is necessary. And this chamber is smaller in diameter than the actual bore size. It'd have to be, wouldn't it.

So it would depend on the diameter of these sticks - if they're like other black powder substitute pellets they'll be too big to enter the powder chamber, so the flash from the flintlock's pan won't come into contact with them. Hence no ignition.

Of course, there is a simple solution for this. Use about 10 grains of whatever you're using for priming powder and pour this down the barrel before adding the sticks. The bulk powder will end up in your powder chamber and "bridge the gap", so to speak. Oh, and don't forget to reduce your main charge to compensate for the loose powder that you poured down the barrel first.

Good luck.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DES

Firstharmonic is correct in stating you need loose powder to not only fill the patent breech, but substitute powders do not do well at all in flintlocks UNLESS you use the loose powder under it. Since you have to prime the pan anyway, why not just use black powder? Of course, I'm biased to black powder, it's all I shoot.