In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

on rolling blocks

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
are there any known mfg who did not stamp an identifieing mark?
i just started a "project and a half" with one
(before someone screams "un-safe" the steel has ben tested and deemed o.k. as a b.p. shooter)
the rifle in question appears to be 45/70, will do a cast once it is done
it was in a house fire, fell from the third floor to the ground level and came to rest against the wall like set there after a hunt!
needless to say it would have shot SERIOUSLY down-hill
i retempered the springs and hardened and tempered back in h.s. thinking to make a wall hanger at best, (grandfathers gun)
now learning the trade from an old smith, he has me working on getting the very last kinks from the barrel so we can get it to shoot streight and make new wood
looks like a sharps reciever, but is about 3" longer than the longest sharps he has in shop, and no markings at all except a proof of crown over what looks to be AR.O (shared leg between letters a and r) 1872

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    the danish made many rollers (and had a 'crown' proof mark), check the auction side as there usauly are a few offered there. "looks like a sharps reciever"... the rolling block doesn't look anything like a Sharp, can you post pictures??
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the roller old charley showed me he was calling a sharps anyway,
    here are pics of the reciever, sorry but the barrel is in the shop by the press

rol%20001.jpg

rol%20002.jpg

edit, managed to get a close shot of the stamping, did find a serial under the barrel near the reciever thread
    rol%20003.jpg
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    it looks like a danish (rifle that is [:D]). they were originaly about .50 cal., some were converted (rebarreled) to a cal. close to .45/70. Do a chamber cast and slug the bore to be sure.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    it looks like a danish (rifle that is [:D]). they were originaly about .50 cal., some were converted (rebarreled) to a cal. close to .45/70. Do a chamber cast and slug the bore to be sure.

chamber cast was already on the list to be sure, first got to get it all streight and re-stocked between customer work and the real job
    at this rate it may be a couple years till i get it all done!
    no biggie, has been collecting dust since about '76 already, guess no sense rushing things now
    but nice to have an idea where the thing came from finally, backin the depression grandpa was a butcher and ran a bakers truck mornngs
    he would trade folks a pan of scrapple or some sausage for the old muzzle loaders and other old stuff no longer used just to help out those who were in worse shape
    this was the last one left that hadnt "grown legs" over the years