In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Excessive Fouling Thompson Pro-Hunter

capnrmcapnrm Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hello There !

I am having a Problem with my Pro-Hunter fouling excessively, I'm using 100 Gr. Pyrodex Pellets that I had from last year,do these break down ??? I also fired the gun with 100Gr of Jim Shockey's gold powder. That fouled as well.This is my 2nd Thompson Pro-Hunter.

Thanks !

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that Jim Shockey's Gold Powder causes excessive fouling.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I have used the Pyrodex loose powder and it fouled all the time. I use Triple Seven now and it seems to work great. Not near as messy and cleanup is easy. Use T/C Bore Butter between cleanings to season the barrel it works great....Bull
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my muzzleloading rifles foul at lot with every shot - best groups come with "cleaning" between every shot. Use the cheapest alcohol money can buy. Use one very wet patch, both sides- thats two swipes. Then one dry patch - both sides - two swipes. Any dampness left - darn little - is flamable - reload -- all shoot nice tight groups when "cleaned" this way between shots. Been doing it this way for more than 30 years - it works! This is mandatory with real black powder.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i found you have to find the right ball and patch size in round ball shooting, if either are over sized you will have to wipe the bore more often, if shooting the bullet style bullets(sabots,mini ball,power belts) it will all depend on the bore size. my 50cal tc omaga has a tight bore and must be cleaned after 2-3 shots with power belts, my 50cal tenn. poor boy flint lock can be loaded 5-6 times with out wiping out the bore. once you find what your rifle likes it will purr like a kitten. eastbank.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why are you using that CRAP powder, use Black Mag3 or Black horn 209, or as a last resort use Triple 7 FFFg powder.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well it has to be said beat-dead-horse.gif

It is the nature of the beast black powder is dirty

if you want to shoot but but want the mess

give me the pro hunter and go buy a 30-06 poke-1.gif
  • 220combat220combat Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with a Pro hunter in .50 cal and I am about to buy a Savage that uses smokeless. I'm sick of all the sleaning with the black powder and subtitutes.
  • HAWKEYE 50HAWKEYE 50 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of ignition? 209,11 or what? If it were the 209, I may have a solution for you.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAWKEYE 50
    What type of ignition? 209,11 or what? If it were the 209, I may have a solution for you.

The pro-hunter is 209

If not he has changed it from original
  • HAWKEYE 50HAWKEYE 50 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the ML thing. I found E.A. Brown Co.(eabco.com).
    They offer a 209 replacement. The kit, called The Variflame Adaptors. They are brass sleeves, of which you press in a CCI #4 Benchrest primer.
    The tool to both remove/install is included. A set of ten sleeves, and the tool cost about 15 bucks.
    I am kinda * about accuracy. After every shot, I run a #69 drill bit through the breach plug. I measured the hole before taking my first shot with the rifle. I figured heck, I proved the flash hole when I reloaded my 300-ULTRAMAG anyway.
    I use Triple Seven Fine loose powder(FFFG). T/C 200gr. Shockwave 45cal. pills(50cal, bore sabots). I load at 80gr 777.
    I have used Bore Butter only for all but the worst buildup. My Plug's I clean with T/C, #13. After every 3 shots I remove the plug and clean and reprove with the drill. Between shots I run one dry patch draped over a 45cal. bronze brush(one size smaller than bore). new patch whetted with Bore Butter, follow with one dry. Reload and repeat between shots.
    Down the larger hole, in front of the primer,I pull most of the cotton from a Qtip to completely clean the residue out.
    I've bored you with all the details because they work for me.
    Back to the fouling...I would have to twist the drill bit back and forth to get through the build up using the Triple Seven 209 primers. After one shot I inspected the build up using both primer types, and found the visual buildup to be about 35-45% less with the Rifle Primers. The Breach plug offering no resistance to the #69 drill.
    Now I'm not an engineer, to fully explain why they work, or how, I just know they work WELL.
    I can't say enough about Seasoning with Bore Butter. Oh by the way, I get consistent .75 groups at 100yds.
    EABCO also has 175gr.,35cal, double sleeved Sabots for my 50cal. Can't wait to try those.
    Try the Vari-Flame Primer Adaptors.
  • longrangerbolongrangerbo Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo Arms sells platinum lined nipples if you want the best accuracy out of B/P or subs. These are a must for heavy B/P loads they take a #11 magnum cap.
    Wipe the bore as descibed by mbsams you will see a great improvement in accuracy.
    The platinum lined nipples are'nt cheap but the are good for thousands of heavy B/P loads.
    I learned from a man who shoots the International Long Range M/L events out to a 1000 yds, that's what they use and wipe between shots.
    The bigger the hole is in the nipple the bigger the groups.