In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70,40-82,40-90 questions

beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
OK guys. This is my first time on the black powder forum....please indulge the newbie and refrain from a mass * pork probe on me!!!

I'm close to making decision on getting an 1874 Shiloh Sharps or Ballard 1885 High Wall. I sort of asked the question on another forum and received some decent input. I need more. Now here's the deal I have an original 1886 Winchester in 40-82. I really enjoy it. The Ballard seemed attractive because they have no problem building a rifle in that caliber. Shiloh doesn't have a 40-82 just a 40-90. Can the brass between the two calibers be interchangeable. I know that a long time ago I used the universal .45 brass to make my 40-82 brass. Can the same stuff be used for 40-90 or is it a totally different shape etc....I didn't even know about 40-90's until very recently. Would it be a capital NO-NO to run .40-82 through a .40-90?..... Would I just be better off to say the heck with it and settle for the non-complications of the .45-70. And remember you guys all of your contributions will be appreciated by this here-to-fore non-black powder shooter[:)]! Thanks to all, Beach.

P.S. The really neat thing is that I am only about 45 miles from the Ballard Rifle Works and they have said that with an appointment I can visit and check out the establishment and see the quality of their craftsmanship. Beach

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "I can visit and check out the establishment and see the quality of their craftsmanship. Beach"... I cann't help with the .40/90 but the first item on your 'to do' list should be a 45 mile drive[:)]. Personlly I'd go with the .40/82 (second choice would be .45/70)
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not interchangeable. I don't see how you are going to make a 2.4" .40-82 into a 2.675" .40-90 SBN. I don't know if it would chamber as a subload and don't know why you would buy a new gun for the purpose.
    I think you would make .40-90 SBN from .45 Basic brass, though.

Considerable related discussion under the heading of what to do to enlarge a .40-70 SBN at:
    http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10751&highlight=4090+sbn

If I wanted a .40 caliber to shoot and not talk about, it would be a .40-65 unless for extreme long range in which case it would be a .40-82... the which Shiloh does not list and would have to be a rechamber on an already expensive rifle.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike Whiskey and Hawk Carse. Thanks a million for the information. As I said, I'll take any info you BP experts have to throw out on the net. I'm going to try and visit the Ballard Rifle Works next week.....and that may make the decision a little easier. Now having said that I wonder if any of you can speak to the quality of the Ballards made in Michigan compared to the Cody, Wyoming Ballards. Are they eaual in every way to the Cody's, not quite as good, or better. And yes I intend to shoot the heck out of this rifle which I haven't done with my 1886. Again my thanks for any and all help from you guys. Beach
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beach, I've got a Shiloh 40-90 and have made brass from 405 Winchester. And mine is not a bottle neck, just a slightly tapered straight case. You will pay more for the loading dies though so be prepared for sticker shock. Emery
  • Options
    longrangerbolongrangerbo Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What!! no mention of the 40-70SS, I love mine, brass was a little iffy and can be made from 405Win. I use the stretched out 30=40 Krag brass from B/A and I have some Rocky Mountain Cartridge brass.
    40-70SS is fine performer
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longrangerbo
    What!! no mention of the 40-70SS, I love mine, brass was a little iffy and can be made from 405Win. I use the stretched out 30=40 Krag brass from B/A and I have some Rocky Mountain Cartridge brass.
    40-70SS is fine performer

I also have a 40-2&1/2 Remington Hepburn and some brass from B-A. It has a boogered chamber (looks like someone went at it with an electric drill); it shoots OK, but the brass swells nearly .010" near the base. I think I will have it sleeved so as to keep the original barrel markings.