In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anyone use blackhorn 209 powder?

br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
if so do you like it is it easier to clean and is it's ignition consistant? thanks for any help

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to expensive for me besides muzzleloading is just that, black powder, fun to shoot dirty to clean they go hand in hand if you can't handle the cleanup stay with cartridge guns.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Hodgdon Triple 7 and find that it works just fine and cleans up pretty easily. I think the Blackhorn stuff is more expensive.

I find that the Pyrodex and Goex BP is really hard to clean up. I'd rather spend more time shooting and less time cleaning! A couple seeks ago we had a BP Shoot in a misty rain, and I was having a lot less trouble than the others ... but the clean up was still worse than usual. The other guys must have really had a mess when they got home.
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i've only found one dealer who stocks it about 70 miles one way.
    $37.00 per 10 oz jug plus tax,is to expensive. i've always used real black powder but i ran out last year and now no one stocks it any more in this area. i hate to try 777 or pyrodex but i don't have much choice
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the real deal, shoot as much as you want, clean up with Hoppes #9, 120 grain by volume is just about the same as 44 gr. of AA 5744 out of my Savage. Foe those states that don't allow smokeless in their Savage muzzle loaders it is the only thing to shoot
  • broknaxlbroknaxl Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Midway USA has it on sale right now for 20 something a jug. I just got their sale flyer.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I use my muzzleloader for
    hunting only and I love
    Blackhorn 209 , no mess
    ,no fuss, have had no
    problems with 777 primers.
    I will stick with it for
    a while because I not sure
    it's quite as accurate as
    pyrodex but up here it the north east
    50 yds is mostly long shot