In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Some test results from today's shooting

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I wanted to test the American Pioneer powder sticks Vs. Pyrodex sticks and a couple of different bullets for accuracy.

The rifle TC Encore with a TC .45 cal BP barrel, scope with a 3X9 Burris in Burris Signature rings.

The bullets shot are Hornaday 180 grain XTP in Knight sabot's and some Power Belts of 195 and 225 grains ea.

After a few getting on paper sighting shots with the American powder and XTP's I tried Pyrodex for a comparison. Accuracy and point of impact were the same with the different powders. The XTP/Sabot were HARD to load, especially getting them started the first few inches with either powder or a clean barrel. The power belts loaded nice and easy all the way down the bore.

My final test was power belts vs. XTP/sabot with both powders shot into five shot groups with all three bullets.

Over all the XTP/Sabot with either powder shot into 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards. The Power Belts groups were about twice that size with a definite vertical stringing tendency. The power belts with pyrodex shot lower that the power belts with American Pioneer powder.

From my observations the XTP/sabot are more accurate but a lot tougher to load. The power belts load much easier and shoot close enough that if a reload is needed in the field I will use a power belt.

Both powders went BANG when lit by Winchester 209 primers. I tried some older CCI Skeet and Trap 209 primers too and saw no difference on paper. I was able to ring the five gallon sized gong at 165 yards with the XTP's but missed with the power belts. I plan on stepping up the charge to 120 grains of pyrodex loose powder next session to see if more go fast helps the power belts. I'll also try triple 7 and compare it to the American Pioneer Powder for performance.

Comments

• tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try dead center brand bullets, I get excellent groups with these and the deer I have shot with them went down, I SHOOT 90 grains am.pioneer fffg with 200 grain dead centers.