In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black powder pistol's at gun show's.

mynamzmuddmynamzmudd Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
I started a question yesterday on ask the expert's and it got locked before anyone could answer my next question. anyway's, I appriciate everyone's responses to my question's so thank you all in advance for everything. Anyway my question was this. what do you all think of the 1861 navy revolver or the 1858? I was looking at something called a army bison. does a 12 inch barrel make it more accurate than a shorter barrel? also, is it possible to find black powder pistols at gun show's and how much would be a reasonable asking price for one of these? again, thank you all for your time and patience with a new shooter.

Bill

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudd the army, navy and even colt bp revolvers all work basically the same way the main difference being the way they breakdown to remove the cylinder and to clean. go to a show you may find one or two but I would say go to a larger store cabelas or gander mountain, mainly to get a hand on one, getting one in your hand is the only way to feel the balance and size and angle of grips, then you can either buy one or keep that specific pistol in mind and try to find a used one, usually will be less than half the price of a new one. they may be a little more of a job to clean, but the fun of shooting outweighs what little mess there is to clean up. I have a 1858 peitta navy and love it, can hit a golf ball 2-4 times out of 6 at 20-25 yards with it also. It is a ball to shame some of the cartridge pistol shooters ( glock guys) at the range with an old black powder pistol. by all means buy one and go have some fun. and the average price around here in papers and shows anywhere from $75-100 up to $250-450 depending on wether you want a copy, pietta, ect. or a real colt, some colts will go way beyond the $450 range.