In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barrel rust removal from rifling,..help

jefo1jefo1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
A buddy of mine dropped off his muzzleloader for me to have a crack at saving,..he's pretty sure it's been shot 2-3 times...then put into a zip up gun case & has sat for 2 years...my initial thoughts are it's a total loss,..but I'm curious to hear any suggestions before throwing it out. Obvioulsy the rust deposits are worse at the top inner 3" of the barrel and the bottom inner 3",..the center has seemed to clean up okay with alot of Hoppes & brushing.

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Have you tried naval jelly?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jefo if you fear the rifleing is still there you may try to chuck the brush and the rod in a cordless drill work it up and down the barrell, after the barrell has set overnight with the nipple plugged, full of solvent, just stand it in the corner and let the solvent work. next put the barrell in a padded vise and run the rod/brush on the drill back and forth while spinning, alot of folks will cringe when hearing this but if it is really in bad shape it can't hurt it much more, as a bronze or copper brush is much softer than the steel in the barrell. just don't do it on a daily basis as a regular cleaning method. I have deleaded some badly abused muzzleloading barrells in the past, all turned out respectable shooters afterwards.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Muriatic acid instantly removes rust from
    ferrous metal. but acid must be immidiatily
    neutralized and metal oiled
  • kspairkspair Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    000 steel wool wrapped around a bronze brush & lots of elbow grease.
  • BirddogDaveBirddogDave Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shoot the silly thing! take it out to the range and run 15 or 20 solid lead bullets thru it. If the barrel is saveable, the solid lead will remove the rust in one or two shots. I had a buddy who inherited an original 38-40 Winchester. After confirming with a gunsmith that it could be fired, he ran 20 rounds through it. The rifleing was eaten away so badly that the rounds were tumbling and keyholing, but firing the gun cleaned the barrel beautifully. Once it was clean again, he decided not to fire it anymore, but the principal is sound. 2 years of rust in a new gun will not create the mess he had in a 100 yr old gun...
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Swedge the barrel.