In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cimarron Uberti 1873 Cattleman Question ?

PROHUNTER01PROHUNTER01 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I just bought a Cimarron Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolver. The guy I bought it from said that it is called the old model. I checked out pics of the I guess "New Model" on Cimmaron's website. The only difference that I can tell is that the new model seems to have a screw in each side of the frame by the ejector. Is this the only difference ? If so, what pistol is "Better" i.e: New or Old model ?

Thanks!

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the "screw" you are seeing is the cylinder pin release. You push it to the side to slide the pin out. The "old model" or what is called the black powder frame, has a single screw in the lower front frame that traps the pin, and must be removed to get the cylinder pin out. The advantage of the new design is you don't need a screw driver to take the cylinder out.
  • PROHUNTER01PROHUNTER01 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh, ok. I wanted to make sure it was not a saftey issue. I see alot of the new models for sale on G.B. but, not many old models.

Also, how do you indenify if a Uberti is a Stoeger or Cimmaron ?

Thanks!
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge, Uberti does not make anything for Stoeger and Cimmaron's say Cimmaron on top of the barrel. If yours says Cattleman then it's not a Uberti made for Cimmaron.
    Uberti makes SAA clones for many different importers. They are all about the same. Some dealers will try to get more money out of you if it's a Cimmaron or AWA, but once it's used, it's just another used Italian replica and they all are worth the same.
  • sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cimmaron guns are made by Uberti. Uberti is a Stoeger Company.
  • PROHUNTER01PROHUNTER01 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info 44caliberkid !
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I currently have two Cimarrons, both have 'Cimarron' and 'Uberti' on the top of the barrels, but the wording is somewhat different. Look for other things that are interestingly different too. Both of mine are 'P' series, 'new' models, and are without the lower blocking device attached to the hammer that the earlier Ubertis had. They use a safety arrangement with the cylinder pin. My earlier-numbered 'P' also has a rigid firing pin, while the later one has the late Colt-type firing pin which 'floats' in the hammer. Ubertis also use the early Colt-type removable cylinder bushing, which promotes drag-free cylinder rotation. Even Colt Peacemakers aren't made like that any more.

A giveaway as to maker is under the grips, should the barrel markings become illegible, as the grip straps are marked 'AU' (Aldo Uberti) on the inside.

I don't know if Taylor's is still importing Uberti-made guns, but everything I had that was made by Uberti was of very good quality, no matter who's name was on it. I've had five Colt Peacemakers, and only one of them, the earliest one, was ahead of the Ubertis. I was especially disappointed in Colt's warranty service for a new gun that blew its plating off with the first 30 shots, and another that threw its front sight at 20 rounds. A little kid could have made better repairs (on the upside, a nice lady at Colt slid me some spare parts at no charge). The Ubertis may be actually better-made guns to begin with. Ubertis do have a reputation for eating bolt springs, and I killed one, so I bought 3 of those, and we'll see. At any rate, springs work harder than anything, and it's an easier fix than plating or sights.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by socks
    Cimmaron guns are made by Uberti. Uberti is a Stoeger Company.

And Beretta owns it all.

Cimarron now gets guns from Uberti. They used to have them made by Armi San Marco but the ASM Schofield fiasco almost broke Cimarron, ASM became AWA, and Cimarron turned to Uberti for their sixguns.