In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Postal Regulations

AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
Does anybody know the u.s. postal regulations for mailing a copy of an antique black powder such as a 1858 Remington?
can this be mailed parcel post?[?]

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AQUAINFL
    Does anybody know the u.s. postal regulations for mailing a copy of an antique black powder such as a 1858 Remington?

I send all my blackpowder/antique firearms through the Post Office. Since they are not considered firearm by Federal Law it's not a problem, BUT some states have different regulations, even for antiques.

John
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnnyBGood
    quote:Originally posted by AQUAINFL

I send all my blackpowder/antique firearms through the Post Office. Since they are not considered firearm by Federal Law it's not a problem, BUT some states have different regulations, even for antiques.

John

+1. I use USPS, Priority, Insured, electronic return receipt whenever I'm sending a C&B. Most people I've bought from do also. Its cheaper and easier than any of the subpar alternative methods that shan't be named

FM
  • bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a phone call to the U.S. Postal Service in Washington D.C. about mailing firearms. I have always mailed black powder firearms but was wondering about mailing cartridge firearms. I was told that there are no restrictions on mailing either blackpowder or cartridge firearms. However, cartridge firearms must be addressed to an FFL. This is an ATF requirement. I was also told never to put anything on the package that identifies contents as a firearm. They should be mailed Priority Mail, insured, and with confirmation. If a gun is going to a "Gunshop" I do not include that name in the address but simply address to an individual at that business rather than the name of the business.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you read the postal regulations carefully, there are restrictions on cartridge firearms. You will find that long guns are OK if being mailed by an individual to an FFL or to a Manufacturer. Handguns, on the other hand, may not be mailed by anyone except a Dealer. Note the word "Dealer"; I have a Type 03 C&R FFL, but that doesn't make me a dealer. And certainly this would preclude an individual using the postal service to mail a cartridge handgun. Black powder muzzle-loading revolvers should fall into the category of non-firearms and thus no restrictions, at least as far as the US Postal Service is concerned. State and local laws might need to be considered.