In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is bore butter?

CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been using T/C Bore butter and it works great. However I would like to know what it is, I have been told that it is basically Crisco. Anyone know?
Thanks for any help that you can give.

Comments

• team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not sure what it is..but i use a blend of crisco and bees wax 0f 50% each...the crisco cuts the thickness of the wax and the wax retains enough plyability to it...when the gun gets warm or the temp outside gets hot out..with crisco you end up with it dripping on your hand and off your gun
  • CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is bees wax something that is easy to come by? I dont think I have seen it in the stores except as honeycomb. Just learning about blackpowder hunting even though I have had my rifle for years. I am trying to keep it as realistic as I can, without undo hardship on my part. Thanks for the imput.[:)]
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any good candle shop should have natural bees wax...or places that sell bulk honey
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bore butter (or whatever you are using) is sure a lot different than spit ... yet they are both supposed to do the same thing? Just wondering ...
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is the formula I obtained years ago called "Penny Pinchers Bore Butter"....
    1 pound natural beeswax
    about 4 pounds olive oil (vary the amount to control hardness)
    2 teaspoons yellow food color
    1/2 ounce wintergreen oil
    never tried it...dont know how good it is or how well it replicates the store bought stuff or if it is the actual formula.
    If you try it take all fire safety precautions melting that beeswax.