In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black Powder Desire

gabacctgabacct Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I would like to get into black powder shooting but know nothing about it. I have been researching guns some and like the idea of the TC Encore with being able to change from muzzleloader to centerfire. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, ideas or reccomendations. Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple questions to start with ...

#1 and 2: Are you hunting? or just shooting?

If you are hunting, you better check the regs in your state. Yes the TC Encore is a totally cool gun, but for the very reason you mention: "able to change from muzzleloader to centerfire" it may not be legal for hunting in your area.

#3: How primitive do you want to go?

Black powder is a tinkerers sport. You have to like to mess around with stuff. And the more primitive you go the more tinkering! [:p]

I got into it six years ago. And I started with an in-line. It is a T/C Omega 50 in Stainless Steel and camo stock. It is a great shooting gun, and I love to hunt with it. But it just doesn't look like a gun!

So then I got a Hawken percussion cap gun ... now there is a nice shooter and she looks like a gun!

If you really want to go crazy then getting a flintlock is the way to go. The real primitive folks say, "If it ain't got a rock in the lock, then it ain't a gun!"

To each his own ... but it is a lot of fun! Have a blast ... a smoky one!

Oh yes that is another subject. Today there are several Black Powder substitutes that work just fine ... plenty of bang & smoke, a little less stink, but they are a lot easier to clean up.

Myself, I like to shoot, hunt and tinker ... but cleaning up is a bit of a hassle! So that is why I use Hodgdon Triple 7 most of the time.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 - puts 230gr balls into a tenis ball size group at 100 yds with iron sites, 10 shots. Take awhile though.
    edited November -1
    Speaking of caliber ... I was going to say stick with the .50 caliber guns ... plenty of stuff out there for the .50 cal guns!
    edited November -1
    There are several Hawken on the auction block right now. In fact I put in a few bids on one that I thought would be a great BP gun for you. When I started bidding it was around $150 and minutes to go, but it went up to just over $200 and I let her go.