In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.41 question-.50 question

mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I am just curious i am a new owner of a .41 in a 1894fg i am shooting 210 grainers with 18.5 grains of 2400, they shoot well and accurate but slow. can anyone suggest a better load.

i will accept all advise i can get for new buy
i now own cva staghorn .50 i need advise powder or pellets, how much etc. what is best all around bullet hunting etc. i like to keep things simple.
thank ahead of time
mike

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as for the CVA, I prefer powder the real thing, either way, BP of one of the substitutes, you can "zero" in the accuracy a lot better with loose powder versus the pellets where you are at the mercy of 50 grains increments or 30 ect. as per which bullets each gun has its own likes and dislikes you may have to shoot a few of each, with different powder charges, to get the exact load your rifle likes. Just remember bigger is not allways better, 70 grains of powder will kill a deer just as dead as 150 grains if it is a well placed shot in the vitals. get out and shoot, enjoy and find what your rifle likes best.
  • Options
    m113103m113103 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean slow. I assume you are talking about a 41 mag. Yes there is faster loads but why do you want to shorten the life of your gun.
  • Options
    mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes i am talking about the .41 and no i wouldn't dream of shortening the life of a great little gun. I was just wanting to hear other folks thoughts and ideas. I have hunted with the ruger black hawk for years, but am new to the rifle. I really like it so far. I will be on a deer hunt with it the end of feb. at a permit ranch in west texas. I cant wait to see how it performs.
    I do appreciate your responce to my post.
    thanks
    mike t
  • Options
    Atom242Atom242 Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MW I have a CVA and I agree hillbille, 70gr is more than adequate to kill whatever you are hunting. Shot placement is way more important. I have shot loose powder as well as the pyrodex pellets. I have used a 80gr pyrodex with 295gr powerbelt load for whitetail very sucessfully. I have also used 70gr loose powder with thompson 300gr. I seem to get better accuracy from the loose powder. My 2 cents.[;)]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Define slow??? You should get a couple hundred FPS over a similar load from your handgun. In that bullet weight you would likely max out somewhere between 1600-1800 FPS. That should be good out to 100-125 yards. I have taken 2 deer at that range with no problems. Neither dropped in their tracks but they didn't get far.