In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

olive spray?

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
I know most serious BP pistol shooters use olive oil as a lubricant just wondering wouldn't the spray type olive oil do the same thing and be a little easier to put on? anyone tried them, pam sprays with olive oil.

Comments

• chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey hillbilly,

I thought Pam was a fish oil base. Are they making it in olive oil now?

Either way, I must not be serious cause I've never used olive oil. ;~)

But if I was going to, I'd might get one of those little 1/2 pint or pint house plant spay bottles and fill it up with olive oil. Should be able to adjust it to control over spray better.

Just a thought?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chigger didn't know the fish oil deal,I'm on a few BP boards most powder guys swear by olive oil thing, guess black powder doesn't react to vegetable oil like it does the petroleum based stuff. so the olive oil doesn't get as gummy with the residue when you shoot a lot with the revolvers. either way guess I'll try only be out $2.50.[;)]
  • chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, it would be worth a try just for the convenience. They may have changed the formula over the years.

I'm all about easy! I go so far as presoaking 4 or 5 packs of patches at a time.

Or when I carry my revolver as backup during hunting season, I load it and seal the cylinders and caps with candle wax. Just so I don't have to unload it every night. I've actually found I can leave um loaded for an entire BP season and still fire perfectly at the end.

Haven't had but 1 failure in 30 years. Even then the other 4 shot perfectly. So I wrote that off to me not paying attention.

Heck, I even have a couple of those big old syringes that I can stuff full of Crisco and shoot a little dab on top of the cylinders, swipe it with a finger and let it rip at the range.

I'm always looking for easier ways to use the stuff I like. Hey, does that make me a lazy shooter? ;~)
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you use olive oil for in a BP pistol? (I assume we're talking about revolvers here) I'm certainly a "serious" shooter and know a bunch more of them, and I can't think of anybody who uses olive oil on their pistols. We used to think the crap that used to come on Italian pistols from the factory was olive oil and we always cleaned it off completely, especially in the bore, before shooting, cause that stuff would burn on and you'd never get it out.
    I've always used crisco/ wax mix or tallow/ wax mix. I have summer mix, higher wax content and winter mix, higher fat content. For wiping down the exterior and lubing internal parts I use Ballistol, as does everybody else I know.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44. most use olive oil instead of the ballistol, claim the vegetable based oils won't react with the powder residue and get gummy, as a lubricant on pin, cylinder,loading lever.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistol is not petroleum based. Olive oil has a very low burning temp and does burn on and get sticky.
    "Most"? Most of who? I shoot CAS matches, cap'n ball class and black powder cartridge class and everybody who shoots those two classes uses Ballistol. Out of 150 - 200 shooters I've met, nobody uses olive oil. And I go to 3 national shoots a year plus two monthly club shoots from April to November.
    If you search the Darksiders forum on CAS City website, Ballistol is king.