In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shockey gold

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
how many have used it,is it cleaner than pyrodex?

Comments

• Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that it is definetly cleaner than pyrodex! I have used it the past two hunting seasons and I really like it. I can shoot awhile before I need to run a cleaning patch through my muzzleloader, but that is my experience, I don't know if that holds true for everybody.I shot only one or two shots with pyrodex and the barrel was so dirty I stopped shooting and started looking for something else in the way of black powder. Some people don't like APP powder, but all my experience with it has been positive so far. Good luck!
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is far better than Pyrodex. I wish Hogden would quit making Pyro now that they have 777. It's worse than real BP.
    I have fired hundreds of rounds of APP in muzzle loaders and cartridges. Clean up is easy as two water soaked patches. It is the only powder that won't foul my S&W break top replicas. I don't have a Big LubeT mold for 38-40 so I use it for that cartridge exclusively.
    APP used to go to big, all weekend, BP shoots and fire a rifle all three days with APP, thousands of rounds with no cleaning between shots.
    I haven't used it with modern, sabot rounds, but apparently Jim Shockey has.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    44caliberkid.....please dont wish that! If you dont like pyro then dont buy it..but please dont try to get the company from taking it away from me. I use pyrodex exclusively in about 15 guns. Sure dont want to start over getting data with any other powder now. And my percussion revolvers lock up tight after about 10-15 shots with real BP, but go for 30-40 with pyrodex. Also my muzzleloader CANNOT be loaded after 2 shots with BP (once had to drive home from the range with a ball jammed 1/3 of the way down the barrel..it just WOULD NOT MOVE). With pyrodex i have done 30 consecutive shots w/o any trouble loading or with any accuracy fall off. tested 3 original trapdoor springfield with pyrodex and BP. No comparison...the pyrodex shot better so in my case BP is much worse than pyrodex. Now i have experimented a little with 777 and do like it, but pyrodex remains my standard powder.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are putting crisco or grease over the balls on percussion revolvers they should not lock up, even with real BP. I shoot them in CAS matches and have done a three day shoot, twice, without cleaning. Just wiping the black grease residue off each day. Most peoples trouble with black is lack of lubrication, which was why the Big Lube bullet designs were concieved.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Oh you sorry little boys that are scared of real blackpowder! [:(] All that fake "city slicker" powder should be outlawed. [^]
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    44caliberkid.....please dont wish that! If you dont like pyro then dont buy it..but please dont try to get the company from taking it away from me. I use pyrodex exclusively in about 15 guns. Sure dont want to start over getting data with any other powder now. And my percussion revolvers lock up tight after about 10-15 shots with real BP, but go for 30-40 with pyrodex. Also my muzzleloader CANNOT be loaded after 2 shots with BP (once had to drive home from the range with a ball jammed 1/3 of the way down the barrel..it just WOULD NOT MOVE). With pyrodex i have done 30 consecutive shots w/o any trouble loading or with any accuracy fall off. tested 3 original trapdoor springfield with pyrodex and BP. No comparison...the pyrodex shot better so in my case BP is much worse than pyrodex. Now i have experimented a little with 777 and do like it, but pyrodex remains my standard powder.

The future of primitive firearms is DOOMED.
  • Options
    NeanderthalNeanderthal Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    k townman-A gun owner that want's powder outlawed-interesting.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to shoot ... tinker ... shoot some more, but cleaning up afterwards? No, I'm sticking with Hodgdon 777 until I find something that is even better! 777 is certainly easier to clean up than Pyrodex. I have not tried Shockey Gold.