In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remove nipple rod

yancy derringeryancy derringer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I have a cva 50 cal.black powder hawken.My problem,How do I remove the rod that holds the nipple.Does anyone have a schmatic or ????.Is it threaded in or what?I think the rifle was made in 1988.

Comments

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that "rod" that you refer to is the "drum" that goes into the side of the barrel near the breech into which the nipple threads, well, the short answer is "You don't remove it". It was not designed or manufactured with removal in mind. As a matter of fact, removing it will void the warranty.

Just out of curiosity, why did you want to take it off the rifle? None of my business; just wondering.
  • Options
    yancy derringeryancy derringer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted to remove because it does not align with the hammer.The hammer hits off center and wears 0n one side,very poor design and quality.Also,what would you do if the nipple threads were dammaged.How would you fix it???.Very poor design!!!!
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of things that you might be able to do to correct the hammer/nipple alignment problem.

1. Check the lock mortise to see if there is anything that can be done with some minor shimming or additional inletting to correct things.

2. Bend the hammer so it is more centered when it hits the nipple. The best way, of course, is to heat the hammer to at least a dull red and then do the bend. But I've cold-bent the hammers on CVA and Traditions guns when it does not require a huge change and have had no problems.

And naturally, you really shouldn't have to do anything to it for the rifle to function correctly but these guns were not exactly high-end firearms and sometimes we just have to cope with the hand that we were dealt. Good luck.