In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Old Army

hdavidson1955hdavidson1955 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I have a new pair of 7.5 Ruger Old Army BP pistols....would they sell on GB? NIB?..They have fixed sites

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is a new stainless Old Army Ruger worth for a decent deal at the gun shop?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello, I have a dumb question if anyone can help. Curiosity finally got the best of me because I've always heard how much fun shooting Cap and Ball was, SO, I just purchased a Ruger Old Army 45 Cal. I have read a little about the supplies needed and purchased the caps, prelubed wads, lead in 457 and some powder. I also bought Pyrodex pellets recommended by the guy at the store, but when I got it home, the pellets read 45/50 for 45 caliber in-lines? I don't have a clue but I think he sold me the wrong stuff, your opinion is welcome. I would also welcome any recommendations for loading like powder, caps, etc...most of you hear are FAR more savy about this than I am.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of buying one of these. Are there any thoughts as to which one is more popular, the 5-1/2" or the 7-1/2" barrels? Steel or S.Steel? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a old army and was wondering what could a guy get for it on a auction and do I have to have a FFL handle the deal on a auction

Its been shot a few time but cleaned very well I do not have the box/papers(burnd in a fire)
    it does have a nice holster
    if you need a few pics
    I'll send them to you so you can give a good price on what to expect
    rdagent-51@gmail.com
    agent-51@cox.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody know what a Ruger Old Army with a 5 1/2 inch barrel is worth?
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of anyone using the pellets, don't think I would. I use RWS # 10 caps, 30 grains of FFF black powder, wonder wads and 240 grain bullets.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using one pellet per chamber is fine. The pellets can be a little harder to ignite than loose powder. Just make sure you seat the ball deep enough to hold the pellet against the back of the chamber.
    Try some American Pioneer Powder, you'll find it much cleaner than Pyrodex.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, does the pellet type make any difference, as in this container saying they are for in-line vs pistol? What is in-line...a BP rifle?
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They make pellets for pistols that are smaller, in the 30 grain range. The pellets you have are 45 -50 grain black powder equivilent, so you can use 2 or 3 in an in-line rifle. It's a stout charge for a pistol, like a magnum, but the ROA is probably the strongest muzzle loading pistol made, all modern steels.
    You might consider returning them and trade for loose powder or pistol pellets.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do use the 30 grain pellets be careful you don't crush them when you seat the ball down on them. They are designed to be ignited from the center outward that is why there is a hole in the middle.

Bode
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Can't help you with that fake pellet stuff. I only use real Goex blackpowder.