In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BP Concealed Carry ?

tdmoparguytdmoparguy Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Since Blackpowder Revolvers aren't considered firearms by the ATF do you have to have a concealed carry license to carry one for personal protection?

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All carry permits are State or local, not national. You will have to check your local laws.
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if open carry is technically legal, what do you think's gonna happen if you tote your old cap and ball revolver in a holster walking down the street? They won't ask you questions, they will assume you're dangerous. The letter of the law will not shield you in my opinion. I know where I live, it is technically possible to open carry legally. But I also know if I tried it, I would be considered a danger- I was scaring people, causing a disturbance, etc
  • tdmoparguytdmoparguy Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't meaning that i was going to strap it on my hip and go all Billy Badass walking through town with it. I meant that it would be concealed and I didn't know if I needed a permit because the ATF's policy that they're not real firearms.
  • remdog58remdog58 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    in va. you can open carry anywhere but were it says otherwise like banks or bars for example but as soon as you put your shirt or jacket over it you would need a CCW permit. va. is very pro-gun, i live in the richmond/chesterfield area,and i see people open carry all the time with hardly any second looks. my two cents worth[:)]

Respectfully,

Remdog
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the original post, people.
    He is asking about concealed carry of a cap and ball revolver.
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did [:)]

That's why my post begins with "Even if". I wasn't sure I should spell it out, but the point is that they will consider the concealed BP a concealed firearm, just as if it were a Glock- even if it was legal to open carry and on your hip- and 100% legal

I have a Class A. That should mean concealed carry. In my city it doesn't. If I carried that BP and got caught with it concealed...jail time
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Under many local laws, once it's loaded, it becomes a firearm regardless of age or ignition system. NY State requires a blackpowder handgun to be registered on your pistol permit if you intend to load it and fire it. Some cities or states will even arrest you for carrying a concealed loaded bb pistol.
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tdmoparguy
    Since Blackpowder Revolvers aren't considered firearms by the ATF do you have to have a concealed carry license to carry one for personal protection?

You will note that most states consider it to be a Concealed WEAPON Permit, not simply a Concealed FIREARM Permit. They consider such things as a large knife, brass knuckles, mace, etc., a "weapon". You need to determine your states definition of weapon.

John
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't even if its legal, the moisture from your body would cause the powder not to fire. This could mean life and death. Thats why Wild Bill Hickock used to reload his pistols every morning, to make sure it would fire.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    A concealed weapon even a Knife can get you charged IF the LEO wants to file charges same with Brass Knuckles, Black Jack, SAP etc. IN most states there has to be probable cause for a search and if you do carry and then pull a weapon on someone then if you had a permit or not is the least of your trouble.
  • m113103m113103 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different laws different places. Check with local District Attorney for a legal opinion. They will be the one that bring charges against you. It would be best to send them a letter so you get a written response. If you ever should get questioned you can refer to it. If you ask a question it is hard to remember who you talked to or if they are in authority to even answer it.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the Virginia answer....your location may vary [:D]

So, by this definition, yes, you would need a CCP

? 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, The permit in some states is for a concealed weapon, not a concealed firearm. A black powder firearm may not be considered a firearm by BTAF or a state, but it would more than likely be considered a weapon. Knives come under the same laws in Florida, i.e. a folding knife with a 4' or less blade is not considered a weapon, but a miltary survival knife would be considered a weapon. It a weapon is concealed, whether it be a knife or a blackpowder firearm, in Florida you would need a CCW permit
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love BP.
    But I would not rely on it as a CW.
    What is the point? If you're able to obtain a CW permit , then you can legally obtain a (generally) smaller,modern handgun with more firepower and greater reliablity (some may take issue with that).
    I do have a CWP and occasionally carry. But I'd also like to see beyond the first shot.
    Stan
  • sniper762sniper762 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just fyi. in nc a cch permit ONLY covers handguns.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Once the thing is 'weaponized' with powder and an ignition system, it would probably be viewed the same as a dummy grenade would be if it were filled with BP and fitted with any kind of fuse.

I believe the laws in some States consider a muzzle-loader to be unloaded for transport purposes, if the percussion cap(s) are removed from an otherwise loaded gun.
  • CaptainCrossmanCaptainCrossman Member Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to the OP:

In the state of Pa. one can buy/sell/trade/ship BP cap/ball pistols without an FFL, they are exempt

but to conceal carry one, all the regular laws apply

one needs a permit here, to conceal carry a BP cap/ball gun, per the NRA laws on their website

check out what it says for your state, go to www.gunbroker.com and click on "sell a gun" then click on "guidelines"- a map comes up of USA- click on your state, and the laws for your state come up
  • ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy Pards,

Hate to say it but a concealed shooter regaurdless of age, antique status, etc is a concealed weapon. Try it and you could lose your right to own a shooter. I would not push the issue. Go getcherself a Concealed Pistol Permit and you won't have to worry...

Shoot Straight,

MW
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 36 Pocket Police is a pretty slim and lightweight revolver.
    With a full chamber, it chronographs just a little below the 36 Navy.
    Hickock thought the 36 Navy was effective enough with round balls even though there were more powerful guns around then..
  • taylorman1949taylorman1949 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also dealt with this issue here in Oregon, and the State Police office told me its not considered a firearm, but how it is used will determine how the Police handle the subject.
    In other words if you're a decent law abiding citizen who carries a .44 Remington w/ a 4" barrel in his pocket for self protection and has cause to defend himself with it, don't worry. But if you're a young punk with a long rapsheet whose hanging around outside the 7/11 at 4am with a ski mask in one pocket and a smokepoler in another, you can expect some hassles.
    I got a question: if the fps of a 1911 colt and a '58 Remmie is about the same, and you load the Remmie with a Conical Bullet about the same weight as a .45 acp, would the stopping power be about the same between the 1911 .45acp and the .44 Remington'58 ?
    taylorman1949
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Civil War troopers reported better stopping power with the round ball than with the conical.
    The round ball, from a rifle, is hell on deer and wild hogs, works better for me than a conical [180 gr. Remington Corelokt, 30-06]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The round ball is supposed to create more turbulence in a wound.
    Years back, I compared a 5 1/2 SAA and a Remington C&B with conicals.
    The accuracy was equal as was penetration in wood.