In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

broken hammer spring (I think)

yancy derringeryancy derringer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I own a cva 50 cal hawken rifle with a problem.The hammer flip flops back and forth.It can not be cocked or fired.I assume the problem to be a broken hammer spring???.Does anyone have a schematic or can give me a step by step procedure to tear down the rifle and replace the spring.

Comments

• KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a broken main spring , there are really hard to replace , if it is a flat spring you can buy a main spring vise and it will help with the repalcement . if it is a coil spring I have never changed one so I could not tell you how to .Here is a couple of web sited to check out for parts and schematics . www.dixiegunworks.com., and trackofthewolf.com.Also I know of a man down in Oregon his name is Joe Willaims he operates a buisness called The Gun Works , and the man carries alot of stuff !! here is his web. www.thegunworks.com. Hope this helps !
  • yancy derringeryancy derringer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your reply KORY.I removed the lock and found the casting that is tripped by the spring is broken.The rifle will become a "wall hanger".Too costly to buy a new L.H. lock. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it is the tumbler that is broken , you should be able to just by pieces and replace those , hate to see a gun get "retired" , I don't know if you go to any black powder rendezvous in your area but I know IF you do you will surely find someone that has the part . If you want to send me a picture of the back of the lock and the broken piece I may be able to help find exactly what you need. I have been shooting black powder since about 1995 and building my own rifles since about 1996 . I notices a "typo" in my first response , I said that the spring was hard to repalce , when infact they are very easy to replace . (maybe had an extra beer)anyhow let me know . I would love to see you shoot the gun again .

Kory
    edited November -1
    KORY,Further inspection revealed I will need a main spring and a tumbler both are broken.Do you know where I can get a "main spring" for a CVA 50 cal Hawken?I think I can get a tumbler for around $7.00.
    edited November -1
    I will be going to "friendship" next sunday.Hope to find main spring and tumbler there.I will bring my lock with me. thanks joe
    edited November -1
    that would probably be the best place to look , I have never been but I hear there is ton of goods to buy, I will check and see later today to find the main spring . Is is a coil or a flat leaf?
    edited November -1
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yancy. have you contacted cva to see if the rifle may be under warranty? alot of models came with lifetime warranties and those parts might be covered. you wouldn't be out anything to contact cva and find out before paying for replacement parts. I just had a 37 year old TC Hawken that broke a main spring and ,TCs have a lifetime warranty, TC sent me a whole new assembly at not charge!