In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Covert flintlock to percussion?

losttraillosttrail Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
A couple of years ago, I built one of the Cabela Hawken .54cal flintlock kits.

I wanted a percussion, but my wife got this as a gift for me, so I accepted it and built it.

I would prefer the percussion, so am wondering if it can be converted. If so, how much, how difficult, where to get the parts?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be done.
    I built a flintlock with parts from Dixie Gun Works.
    I couldn't get the flintlock to work right. This was back before the days of the internet.
    I didn't know anyone who worked on flintlocks.
    I didn't know any gunsmiths who messed with muzzleloaders.
    I was getting ignition half the time, no way I was taking an erratic rifle hunting.
    So, I converted it to percussion.
    Where the touch hole is, you have to drill and tap it, then you screw in the drum and nipple.
    I bought the same model lock, from Dixie, and installed it.
    The gun worked fine.
    But, I was not happy with my amateur work on drilling and tapping that hole in the barrel.
    The drum was sloppy. I figured, it might blow out, bad news.

So, that pretty rifle is now a wall-hanger in my parents' log cabin.

Get that hole drilled and tapped properly and you should be ok.
    You need to make sure that you can buy a percussion lock that will fit, I imagine that the Cabelas Hawken percussion lock would work.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might be ahead to buy a second percussion barrell and new hammer then you will have the best of both![;)] and still keep the wife happy.[:D]
  • Options
    KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shouldn't convert it anyway, should learn to shoot the flinter, then you can get plenty of practice and it will improve your overall shooting ability, besides that , for two hundred plus years we had flintlocks , then for about twenty years we got to deal with cappers , before they realized that cartridges were better! [:)]learn to shoot the flinter, you will be happy!! Besides that anybody can shoot a capper. Good luck