In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIngle Action Army advice on cleaning and stuff...

GunsForBreakfastGunsForBreakfast Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
OK..... i am really confused here.
i hope you guys can help me sort this out.

i have TWO first gen. colt SAA revolvers and have
differing advice from
TWO different gunsmiths on cleaning.

one says..... ok to use a bore snake..... the other says NO !
Both these guys are REALLY good and they have been smithing for more than 30 years each.

how do i sort this out?

i dont have much experience yet with revolvers because i have always had long guns.
but i want to do the right thing here.

give me some feedback on this please.... i would really appreciate it.
Thanx.

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know the year of manufacture of these 1st gen Colts?

The reason I ask is, any first generation gun made before 1900, as a caution, should not be fired with smokeless ammo. Now I'm sure there will be those who disagree with this an post that they've been shooting old Colts with smokeless for years, but I'd hate to see a cylinder go kablooey and bend a frame on a fine collectors item.
    The 'smith who said no boresnake is probably concerned that it would be too rough on the softer steels of old guns. Especially the wire brush section. Again, we're talking about a valuable piece here, so I would err on the side of caution and not use one. A proper fitting brush for the caliber and swabbing with patches on a proper size jag should suffice.
    Black powder fouling is actually easier to clean than smokeless, needing only soap and water, no harsh chemicals. If a proper bullet is used, carrying enough lube, the fouling stays quite soft.
    If you're using smokeless (made after 1900) then Hoppes or similar nitro solvent should work fine. More detail about the caliber and year of manufacture would help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    they are .45 1906 and 32-20 1909..... neither is black powder

i know the metal is softer on older guns so i guess i should stick to the usual cleaning methods.
    havent opened the bore snakes yet..... so i guess i can take them back.

its just when both smiths disagree... hard to figure what to believe. LOL

thanks for your post.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since these are very collectable, valuable pistols, I would be as careful with them as you can. Probably the same reason one smith said not to use the bore snake. I've used bore snakes in rifles and they are an excellent product, make a fast job of cleaning a long gun, but pistols are so easy to clean, I think a conventional pistol rod, brush and jag do a fine job.
    I love old SAA's and I envy your possesion. Enjoy them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your advice Kid..... i think just cleaning the regular way is the best way to do it.
    better safe than sorry. LOL

i know they are collectable but i am not interested in the collecting part. i like shooting.... thats what they were made to do. so.... the idea is to use them....and keep them nice as well.

i definitely want them to stay nice.
    so your suggestion is a good one.
    thanks... that makes the most sense.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't use jacketed bullets in either gun because of wear on soft barrel steel.
    I've seen serious muzzle wear just from holsters.
    No need to be taking them apart except occasionally to oil the frame under the grips. Rust is often found there.
    The internals can be oiled from the outside.
    Screws on SAAs loosen up regularly. Tighten them with properly fitting screwdriver blades, taking care not to bugger up the screw slots.