In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whats the best way to clean nipples?

taylorman1949taylorman1949 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I use these tiny holed nipples (treso) and I can hardly even see them let alone clean them. They're hard to hold with thumb and forefinger and scrub with a bronze brush, cuts me to pieces!
Anyone got any ideas?
taylorman1949

Comments

• eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    throw cold water on them, they stand right up and you can clean them easier that way.eastbank.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use pipecleaners.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Treso's in all my competition pistols, but I've never cleaned the flash holes. After a shoot, I remove them, let them sit in dish soap and water awhile, then brush off the external fouling with a nylon brush (like a toothbrush). I dry them with a paper towel, then blow through them. I put them in a 200 degree oven a few minutes for the final dry. Some guys blow dry the holes with compressed air, but I can envision shooting one off into some dark recess of my garage, so I don't do that.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I always use the cleaner that look like pipe cleaners, only they have bronze bristles in amongst the fiber.

Or just suck 'em clean. I've been know to do that, too. I woke up one time at the beach with a ring around my mouth and the girl I found lying next to me had two clean spots. Guess where?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go to a welding supply shop, they make small round files think they call them picks, used to clean mig welders, these are perfect for the nipples. you may need to take a nipple in to get the right size, or you can buy an assortment in a carrying case, sort of like a pocket knife.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must have cheap pipe cleaners ... I find that the almost always leave some fuzz in the nipple.

Next, I plan to try paper clips.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    I have Treso's in all my competition pistols, but I've never cleaned the flash holes. After a shoot, I remove them, let them sit in dish soap and water awhile, then brush off the external fouling with a nylon brush (like a toothbrush). I dry them with a paper towel, then blow through them. I put them in a 200 degree oven a few minutes for the final dry. Some guys blow dry the holes with compressed air, but I can envision shooting one off into some dark recess of my garage, so I don't do that.

Pretty much the same way I do it, with the exception of the oven part.

I dont use a nipple pick. One reason why Tresos work so well is the diameter of the flash hole. Poking anything through it could negate that advantage.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first started shooting BP, I bought a little nipple cleaner which was nothing mor than a small drill bit crimped into a piece of round aluminum stock. Works well. You could make one by heating a drill bit and sticking the shank into a piece of round plastic stock.[:D]