In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Musket caps,,,,,, can I....?

IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
Switch the nipple on my Thompson 54 cal percussion hawken and use musket caps or are they to hot for that gun? thanks in advance[:)]

Comments

  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No they are not too hot, they will work fine.
    Are you having trouble with #11 caps?
    What powder are you using?
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    No not having problems, finally got the gun grouping fairly well at 100 with pyrodex. (cant find goex anywhere around here still, but Id like to try it) Mostly was just curious if they would improve accuracy at all, or if now im starting do dive into the realm of overkill?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For an example, I have a Zouave Civil War replica. Shoots .58 minie balls.
    It is designed for musket caps, so that is what I shoot.
    Therefore no reason the big caps wouldn't work on a .54

    What kind of groups are you now getting?
    I suspect you are diving into the realm of overkill if you switch to musket caps.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    For an example, I have a Zouave Civil War replica. Shoots .58 minie balls.
    It is designed for musket caps, so that is what I shoot.
    Therefore no reason the big caps wouldn't work on a .54

    What kind of groups are you now getting?
    I suspect you are diving into the realm of overkill if you switch to musket caps.



    Well my best 3 out of 4 shots was grouped at 2.5 I measure the forth shot its 4.5 total at 100 yards. Seems like I can only get 3 or 4 shots, then the barrels all fouled out and grouping goes to hell. My thinking was switch to muskets, maybe more complete powderburn, maybe less fouling, maybe id get a few more shots[:o)] Just got my gears clickin wonderin what if, still fairly new to this black powder stuff. Do you think you would gain any accuracy using them?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.5 at 100 is a damn good group with iron sights, I don't care if it is a Swedish Mauser.
    For hunting, you almost never get to use even the second shot.
    I would just swab the barrel every 3rd shot at the range.

    But, what the hell, buy a musket nipple and give it a shot, what harm can it do?
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Ya thats pretty much what I come up with too the more I think about it, cant get much better. Like ya say "what the hell though" been bored lately. I may try it for S and giggles just to see, Thanks
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Do it. You'll never regret it. I did it on my CVA 54 and it's been a great improvement.
  • KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they make standard #11 size caps but in Magnum , might want to try that , I know that the ,musket caps are much existing hammer and the existing nipple , If fouling is your problem then try lubing your patches with just good ole' fashion spit , I had an ol' timer tell me that once back in the day , and not only did it cut my fouling , I also cut my group size to just an egged hole at 25 yards off hand, I can actualy shoot at a rondezvous for two days and not wipe out the bore once! and I shoot a .54 cal custom rifle (that I built) with a green mountain barrel and 120 grains of powder, with a .535 round ball and standard pillow ticking patching . Good luck !
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 49,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We changed nipples on a friends TC Hawken and put on a musket nipple. Plenty of fire to get things going now. Don't think it affected accuracy one way or the other.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kory
    they make standard #11 size caps but in Magnum , might want to try that , I know that the ,musket caps are much existing hammer and the existing nipple , If fouling is your problem then try lubing your patches with just good ole' fashion spit , I had an ol' timer tell me that once back in the day , and not only did it cut my fouling , I also cut my group size to just an egged hole at 25 yards off hand, I can actualy shoot at a rondezvous for two days and not wipe out the bore once! and I shoot a .54 cal custom rifle (that I built) with a green mountain barrel and 120 grains of powder, with a .535 round ball and standard pillow ticking patching . Good luck !

    You have to replace the existing nipple with a musket cap nipple. Make sure the musket cap nipple is threaded the same as the original. Do it. You'll be happy you did.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to do any hunting with the rifle, the musket caps are easier to put on and off than #11 caps, I used to have to cut them off with my pocket knife. the only trouble I had with mine was there were no handy cappers available for the musket caps. never had any misfires after switching my renegade over to the musket nipple.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks, went and bought the new nipple and some musket caps yesterday got it all switched over, now just need to go shoot, if it ever quits raining round here[:D]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 49,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Them hairy legged ol' fur trappers didn't sit around the teepee when it rained, a man had to make a living![}:)]
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Them hairy legged ol' fur trappers didn't sit around the teepee when it rained, a man had to make a living![}:)]



    [;)]
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson center makes musket nipples that are compatable with all their caplock guns, $5 to $7, well worth it, I have sausage fingers and can't even pick up a #11 cap.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    Thompson center makes musket nipples that are compatable with all their caplock guns, $5 to $7, well worth it, I have sausage fingers and can't even pick up a #11 cap.


    quote:originally posted by idahordnk
    Thanks folks, went and bought the new nipple and some musket caps yesterday got it all switched over, now just need to go shoot, if it ever quits raining round here[:D]

    I know........ thats what I did and am loving every minute of it[:D] Great switch, gun is finally shooting as good as I can think would be expected, and shootin 430 grain maxi balls to boot[:D] 2 3/4 inch goup at 100 yards with 90 grains pyrodex. ( over a bench or course)......... on the down side thats all ya get 3 shots then needs a good scrubbin to get it to group again....... but hell if ya actually get three and cant get it done it aint ment to be right[:)]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahordnk
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    Thompson center makes musket nipples that are compatable with all their caplock guns, $5 to $7, well worth it, I have sausage fingers and can't even pick up a #11 cap.


    quote:originally posted by idahordnk
    Thanks folks, went and bought the new nipple and some musket caps yesterday got it all switched over, now just need to go shoot, if it ever quits raining round here[:D]

    I know........ thats what I did and am loving every minute of it[:D] Great switch, gun is finally shooting as good as I can think would be expected, and shootin 430 grain maxi balls to boot[:D] 2 3/4 inch goup at 100 yards with 90 grains pyrodex. ( over a bench or course)......... on the down side thats all ya get 3 shots then needs a good scrubbin to get it to group again....... but hell if ya actually get three and cant get it done it aint ment to be right[:)]



    That's great, you are down to 2 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.
    You were getting 2 1/2 inch groups with the #11 caps.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    quote:Originally posted by idahordnk
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    Thompson center makes musket nipples that are compatable with all their caplock guns, $5 to $7, well worth it, I have sausage fingers and can't even pick up a #11 cap.


    quote:originally posted by idahordnk
    Thanks folks, went and bought the new nipple and some musket caps yesterday got it all switched over, now just need to go shoot, if it ever quits raining round here[:D]

    I know........ thats what I did and am loving every minute of it[:D] Great switch, gun is finally shooting as good as I can think would be expected, and shootin 430 grain maxi balls to boot[:D] 2 3/4 inch goup at 100 yards with 90 grains pyrodex. ( over a bench or course)......... on the down side thats all ya get 3 shots then needs a good scrubbin to get it to group again....... but hell if ya actually get three and cant get it done it aint ment to be right[:)]



    That's great, you are down to 2 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.
    You were getting 2 1/2 inch groups with the #11 caps.


    Yes that was using the round balls, SO I figured 2 3/4 with the 430 grain maxi ball was pretty damn good too out of a renegade barrel[:I]
Sign In or Register to comment.