In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Caps or primers to use

tido4570tido4570 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
I am not very familiar with percussion caps but I have a friend who has a product with the brand name of Dynamit Nobel No.1081 that he is using on a Knight T-bolt. He bought a lot of these when he purchased the rifle and now he cannot find them anymore and they have been working really well for him. What should he switch to that would be comparible or where can we find the Dynamit Nobel?
Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer to this question is still not clear to me! My Hawken seems to do very with the Remington No. 10 mag percussion caps. But I ran out and went to a pretty serious gun shot that only carries CCI percussion caps. He said I needed No. 11 for a long gun and that No. 10's are for pistols that need a tighter cap. Now I've got problems shooting up the CCI No. 10 percussion caps ... they are just too small. I almost have to shoot twice in order to get them to fire! Sure helps on not flinching! I guess that is OK, but I'm going back to the Remington No. 10 mag percussion caps as soon as possible.

What is your experience? [?]
  • KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typicaly, for a gun (either pistol or rifle) if it is foreign made it will take #10's better, if it is something made in U.S.A. ie siler lock L&R lock or even Lyman guns they will shooter better with #11 if you have problems with shooting and nothing happens it is because your cap is not on the nipple completely and thus when the hammer falls all it does is push on to where it needed to be in the first place .

I am not familiar with the Knight system and no offense but will never be , personaly I think that if you want to shoot a muzzleloader then you should shoot a traditional one ! but with all that set aside , you should be able to obtain your caps from local gunshops , or several websites ie dixie, track of the wolf , etc... some of the inline rifles shoot 209 shotgun primers should be able to buy those wherever you can buy reloading componets . I have used CCI caps since I started about 14 years ago ,I have never had any failed caps yet , I shoot #11 standard , I even have some that are almost 10 years old and they shoot just fine .I know that CCI does make #11 in magnum too. Now I mostly shoot flinters because they are more challenging and more primitive yet . besides that it makes you a better shooter overall. then you don't have to worry about caps anymore ! [:)]
    edited November -1
    Maybe my question should be: Which percussion cap is larger in diameter ... the No. 10's or the No. 11's? [?]
    edited November -1
    Number 11 is bigger , I always when putting a cap on force it down with my finger or thumb as far as I can push it that way I insure a good ignition. Let me know how it goes for you .[:)]
    edited November -1
    So, I'm hearing that No. 11's are bigger. Man, that is wierd ... each time I try to push them down on the nipple really hard ... and the Remington No. 10's work fine ... but the CCI No. 11's are very hard to get down all the way ... hence the second trigger squeeze almost on every shot!
    edited November -1
    Well I have to say that is weird ! however I do see alot of guys running into this problem with the second shot , If you feel comfortable take the hammer after you have put the cap on and force it down with the hammer while hanging on to it of course, making sure the barrel is down range, I do this especially when hunting . However I do wonder if the tin of caps you got (#11) might have been wrong , I had a pedersoli shotgun that #11's would fall off went to #10's and cured the problem . anyhow good luck to ya , and if #10's work for you then keep using them . good luck [:D]
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a cap size chart
    CapSizes.jpg
    edited November -1
    Wow, that should settle it! The Rem No. 10 and the CCI No. 11 are in fact what I should be using. But the difference sure would make me think the difference is more than 0.001 "! The Rem No. 10 works great, and the CCI No. 11 sucks!
    edited November -1
    Not much of difference but is enough to make a pain in the butt. good info ken44-40. Now get out and go shootin' [:D]
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should have printed a disclaimer with the size chart. The measurements were not done by me; but, were done by an experience BP fanatic and have been passed around on BP forums for a while. Sizes change from lot to lot; so these measurements should only be used as a general reference point.

Ya also gotta remember one thing - cones are tapered, so the length of the cap can make a huge difference in how they fit; just like the inside diameter..
  • tido4570tido4570 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the flanged and non-flanged caps? What does the flange do?