In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo to use for quick draw?

old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
What kind of ammo do ou use for quick draw / fast draw?

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is in a blank round than that hits the target?
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    Blanks are basically the same thing, exept with out the projectile. Also comenly used in quick draw are wax bullits.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blackpowder blanks throw out enough buring charcoal bits to burst balloons at close range. That's what we use for quick draw and mounted shooting.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking blanks are safe. When we do gunfight reenactments we are always careful never to fire directly at anyone. Remember, John Eric Hexum killed himself with a blank.
  • eddismeddism Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am seriously interested, exactly what i want to do. Is there more about cowboy competiton that i can browse on the internet. such as video of demonstrations, etc.

thank you
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eddism
    I am seriously interested, exactly what i want to do. Is there more about cowboy competiton that i can browse on the internet. such as video of demonstrations, etc.

thank you

You can check out sassnet.com and cowboyfastdraw.com
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cowboy compeetition is definately NOT fast draw,although we draw fairly fast.
    Quickdraw comp is a whole nuther thing,one shot very fast after drawing from a holster,using blanks or wax bullets
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real fast draw organization at:
    http://www.fastdraw.org/wfda/

Cowboy fast draw
    http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/index.php

There used to be a sport of Quick Draw done with live ammunition, but we are not smart enough to do that any more.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, and some shot themselves in the leg and foot.
    There were steel "J" shaped plates below holsters to deflect bullets prematurely fired while clearing holsters.
    Sammy Davis, Jerry Lewis and other Hollywood luminaries were quite good at quick draw.
    After dropping one a few times, I figured it's not only dangerous but one can easily damage the gun.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried primer powered rubber bullets in 38 and 45.
    They can go through several thicknesses or corrugated cardboard and damage a wall.
    these or similar primer powered wax bullets are still dangerous and can put out an eye.
    SAAs are heavy guns and drop easily from the hand.
    BE CAREFUL. There were a lot of injuries 20 or 30 years ago when fast draw was popular.