In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Combustible Paper Cartridge...

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
Has anyone every made these and used them for their BP Six Shooter?

If so, have you got any good information and details on doing so?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My not be helpful but I'll throw it out there anyway , no real details , but do remember a conversation with my old neighbor who got me into Blackpowder shooting , and he used ciggerete papers and layed them out flat and poured his desired powder charge onto it and layed his bullet at the end so that the gummed end was on the bullet and then he simply rolled it up folded the end at the powder side to keep it from dumping out and loaded it into the gun . I never tried it always seemed like even more work, plus I never did any reinactment so I did not have to be accurate. hope that helps .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info...

I've been doing a considerable amount of research lately.
    If I find anything additional to what you've already mentioned here, I'll post an update...
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read that to get complete combustion soak the paper in a potassiun nitrate solution and dry flat before loading.
    Get a wood dowel the proper diameter, roll the paper sleeve and glue it to the bullet.
    Fill with powder, close the end and glue.
    Paper was cut in a trapizoid shape.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I read that to get complete combustion soak the paper in a potassiun nitrate solution and dry flat before loading.
    Get a wood dowel the proper diameter, roll the paper sleeve and glue it to the bullet.
    Fill with powder, close the end and glue.
    Paper was cut in a trapizoid shape.

Thank you V35 for your insight.
    I've read the similar info and question my abilities to treat the paper.

I've pretty much wrote off using cigarette papers since they are pre-treated to kepp them from burning too fast with calcium carbonate.

I have found KNO3 pre-treated paper, "Flash-Paper", available at a magic supplier that could be a very good alternative. My question to that is the thickness of the paper. I believe they tout their paper to be "tissue" paper. I'm afraid it may be too thin.....

Does anyone have an idea of proper paper thickness? Standard printer 20# bond is ~0.0035" thick...

Second question concerns proper glue...
    I've read of "Water Glass" that was used during the civil war and should still be available. I've also read that many use good 'ole Elmers or Elmers stick... Any thoughts?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I've read brown paper or vellum for rifle cartridges but I'd try
    thin paper as used in carbon copies if still available. Use more wraps if too thin.
    Magician's paper sounds good but is probably $$$.
    I'd also get some NaNO3 or KNO3 and brush the paper with a solution.
    Balsa and paper model airplane glue and dope used to be cellulose nitrate. If available it'd be better than waterglass or Elmer's.
    I don't know about plastic model glue.
    You don't want any glowing embers in the chambers when you ram new charges in.
    I think DGW had instructions for making paper cartridges.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I think I've read brown paper or vellum for rifle cartridges but I'd try
    thin paper as used in carbon copies if still available. Use more wraps if too thin.
    Magician's paper sounds good but is probably $$$.
    I'd also get some NaNO3 or KNO3 and brush the paper with a solution.
    Balsa and paper model airplane glue and dope used to be cellulose nitrate. If available it'd be better than waterglass or Elmer's.
    I don't know about plastic model glue.
    You don't want any glowing embers in the chambers when you ram new charges in.
    I think DGW had instructions for making paper cartridges.
    Good luck.

V35... Thanks for the info.

The balsa/paper airplane dope/glue (cellulose Nitrate) sounds very promising. I'll start seeing if I can locate...
    I'll update you on what I find out.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    try this, complete with pictures
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15009

Great Information dandak1 !

Looks very doable to me... [;)]
  • Options
    AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iused to soak the cigarette papers in a solution of potassium nitrate,[this can be found in drug stores or any outfit selling jerky making supplies].Soak the papers in a strong solution of pn this will make the paper burn up fast.Just make sure you air dry the papers before loading.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can still find potassium nitrate your area is a lot more conservative than mine!!! here in NE Ohio the potassium nitrate in drug stores dissappeared long ago!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any one have a reasonable source for Potassium Nitrate?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    tdmoparguytdmoparguy Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    retroxler58 I bought potassium nitrate off of a store on ebay. It was fairly cheap and shipping wasn't horrible the stuff worked good.
  • Options
    music_madnessmusic_madness Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use mine shooting frontiersman class in CAS matches. i use JoB 1.5 cigarette papers. i role 'em around an appropriate sized ball-point pen body with the round ball perched on top. twist the end, pull out the pen and set ball down in reloading tray to dry. add appropriate amount of powder with a funnel and twist it tight. set aside. come back with small dikes and clip tail. at the range just stick 'em in the cylinder and ram home. i use a nipple pic to punch a hole in the cartridge after its loaded, but its not really necessary (usually). after shooting there is some residue left behind so a brush is helpful. They do work and make reloading a bit quicker. i might try a "nitrite bath" though [;)]. K.I.S.S.
    PEACE
    Catfish Tom McTeef
    SASS# 75700