In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

41 Colt

melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
Hey anyone have a sourse for 41 Colt bullets, I bought some moly coated ones 5 or so years ago but hes gone [:(]

Comments

• Options
    AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean bullets or cartridges,if bullets try Dixie Gun Works
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the hollow based bullets because the solid heel type need a special tool to crimp.
    Best of all buy a hollow base mould if you can find one.
  • Options
    melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks I am looking for lead bullets.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gad sells just the bullets too.
  • Options
    pablo44pablo44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rapine makes 41 and 38LC molds,use pure soft lead and lube with SPG(this is essential)and load with FFFg.Works fine in my lightnings.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot both 41LC and 38LC with hollowbase bullets bought on gunbroker. I use pyrodex P and bore butter lube. Shoots great!
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the cost of round balls and bullets now days, it is most cost effective to cast your own. I have a friend who has the Rapine mould and he loaned it to me several years ago. I cast up over 500 bullets, then happened on to an old Ideal hollow base mould for the 41LC. Later I found an old Herters heeled bullet mould, but haven't figured how to crimp them yet, guess I'll have to make a special tool. It's best if you can pick up primers locally so as to not incur the $20 HazMat fee to ship. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mazo kid, take an electrical crimping tool and grind out (with a dremel and a stone) a circle the size you need to crimp the case (ie: make the opening the diameter of the sized and expanded but unflared case neck). Put a bevel on one edge. Then seat the bullet to the correct depth, then take the round and with the crimping tool bevel side towards the rim, crimp the case just below the bullet/case juncture. Rotate the case a bit, crimp again.
    I shoot 41 LC a lot. Hollow base bullets shoot much better than heel base. I use pyrodex P and homemade bullet lube.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks dandak, I had heard about using the electrical crimping tool and (being a retired electrician) have a couple laying around. Time for some experimenting. Yes, I also shoot several 41 Thunderers, but so far only with either the Rapine or Ideal cast bullets. I also have an original Remington full box of cast 41LC bullets, but will never shoot those as they are collectibles. Emery
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dandak, Are your heel bullets soft lead and are you using black or smokeless. I suspect soft heel bullets with a good charge of black should size up and shoot pretty good.
    I've only shot store bought HB bullets with smokeless. I also have 50 or so heel bullets and wonder if I should mess with making up a crimper or just forget them and start casting HB bullets that load normally?
    A few years ago, I was lucky to buy a Lyman HB mould but haven't melted lead in at least 7-10 years. It's probably about time.
    The Thunder gives a very satisfying little recoil.
    Factory original loads chronographed 620fps and 3gr Bullseye handloads 673fps out of 3" barrels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe my heel bullets are soft lead. My hollow base are a bit harder. I didnt cast them myself, but bought them here on gunbroker. I gave up on black years ago. I shoot Pyrodex P and RS in my old time guns now. The hollowbase shot so much better that i also gave up on the heel bullets. They need a slightly smaller case in the 41 Thunderer (length-wise) and i only had a few of the shorter cases anyway. Your HB mould...is that HB for hollow-base or heel-base??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hollow base.
    I suspect black powder will give soft heel bullets the belt they need to size up to the bore and shoot better that's why I asked.
    I too pretty much gave up on black powder years ago. It was unfun to take Colt revolvers completely apart to wash, dry and reoil them.
    If they are not too long for the cylinder, I may just try a few of the heel bullets otherwise I'll sell them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a bag of about 50 pcs of commercially cast heel bullets.
    1flybob@comcast.net