In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bore Butter / Load Recomendations

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
What is this bore butter and how is it to be used?

Need load for .54 caliber Lyman.

Best stuff for cleaning up barrel?

SWage 1

Comments

• dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a patch lube or a bullet lube. I used it on my patches in my 50 cal hawken. Also have used it as a bullet lub in my BP (actually pyrodex) loaded cartridges. Works pretty good in both. The stuff in the tube is thinner than the stuff in the tubs...use the tube to lube your patches and the tub stuff to melt into your grease grooves in the bullets.
    I found a recipe to make it my self and it too works good. Once my commercial stuff is gone I am going to go to the homemade lubes for good. As far as using it to "season" the bore you will find that that may open up a hornets nest here. My own results are that using it as a cleaning and seasoning item produced negative results. I clean with the appropriate BP cleaners (windex with vinegar, water, or hoppes BP cleaner) then oil the bore. before shooting I run a patch of denatured alcohol thru to clean out the oil.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that the Great Plains Rifle?
    Use a patched round ball and 80 grains of black powder.
    Are you shooting deer or elk?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Yes it is a greatplains to9 hunt deer.

Sage 1
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54. I use only real black powder but pyrodex is good too. I load anywhere from 75 to 100 grains by volume and a round ball seated over a pre-dry-lubed fiber wad and use a TC prelubed .015 patch. I swab the bore between shots with one very wet patch of alcohol, both sides and then both sides of a dry patch. If I do my part- 10 shots go into the size of a tennis ball at 100 yds. At the end of shooting I additional run a brass bore brush in and swab with alcohol until clean ( 3 or 4 patches. then one lightly oiled patch. Had this rifle more than 20 years and its bore is like new. You won't need to swab between shots if you use Pyrodex RS or P but black gives me a better group and a lot of smoke. I use FFFG usually as it gives me a better group than FFG, but when I hunt big hogs or elk I use FFG and a heavy full patch slug, as to bore butter and their ilk - a sticky god awful mess best avoided.
  • sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless pre-lubed dry wads. I like Wonder Wads.
    No muss, no fuss.....
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i like 94 grains of ffg and a patched round ball..as far as lube i use crisco and have for years[;)]