In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making a Trapper 92-Gunsmith Needed

stateofbarbarismstateofbarbarism Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Recently I came to the decision that I need a trapper style 92 Winchester style rifle. I already own a .44 caliber Browning 92 with a 20" barrel. I need a good gunsmith who can cut and recrown both the barrel and magazine tube as well as reinstall the front sight and reblue those parts. I know it will cost some bucks. Any recomendations fellows?

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have made several buntline sa style revolvers but have not cut down a rifle barrel yet though i have a legacy 44 with 24' octagon i plan on doing soon...hand tools on cutting barrel would say a simple chop saw with a thoroughly wet blade & squirting water as cutting works OK...recrown by using a brownells hand tool...recrown tool removes small amount of metal that may have been heated by cutting...cutting new sight dovetail or drilling and tapping screws on sight can be done an any drill press with a compound vise like a cheap one from harbor freight...hand tools do not require barrel removal ...i use a lathe & mill for more precision but hand work can be OK...guns used to be handmade ...DIY can be fun