In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

snubby's anyone?

remdog58remdog58 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
here are a few pics for you to enjoy!

remdog
cutdown-1.jpg

remingtonsnubby.jpg

IMGP1003-1.jpg

birdcolt.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    heres a few more

awesomepair.jpg

1862_2.jpg

bird4.jpg

kirst20konverter02.jpg
  • Options
    sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! Beautiful jobs. Did I catch a Walker in there? Or was that a
    Whitneyville Dragoon?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes my friend it's a walker,i have more pics if anyone wants to see them?

Remdog
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like an even shorter Pietta 1862 NYC Met Police in .36 in there as well. Nice looking revolvers
  • Options
    odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do you get the "birds head" grips? Lets say for a Colt Navy 1851.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    try this website for ordering a birdshead frame from uberti,and the other link is a how-to forum thread with pics.hope this helps

Remdog

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=Uberti+1873+Stallion+and+Lightning

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=294765
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i also have a photobucket page if your interested my friend,with categories of guns&knives for browsing

Remdog

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/mike6975/
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remdog58
    try this website for ordering a birdshead frame from uberti,and the other link is a how-to forum thread with pics.hope this helps

Remdog

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=Uberti+1873+Stallion+and+Lightning

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=294765

Looks like you figured out the picture posting thing. I looked at the VTI site but couldn't find any prices on the Bird Head grip frame. Do you have to contact them for current pricing? Approx. how much money for one for a '60 Colt? Thanks. Emery
  • Options
    edited November -1
    try this site around $65.00 plus this whole site is awesome but look for the "backstrap thunderer" 400008th (model #) thats what you want

Respectfully,

Remdog

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Parts/model-p.htm
  • Options
    odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Remdog! The pics are very helpful, hope you don't mind me stealing your idea, looks like a fun project.
    Thanks also for the "Truffle Shuffle", have not seen that for years!!!
    Paul.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    glad you enjoyed everything,and please take all the pics you want,i'll try posting new ones in a few days or so

Respectfully,

Remdog
  • Options
    hdmyg228hdmyg228 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $3.10 for an automatic knife with free shipping, now thats cheap http://www.liangdianup.com/automatic_1.htm how about the
    buck 110 auto? Do they still make that thing here in the states? I think they were being converted into autos out west. Nice
    knife, these guys also have a copy of a Buck 110 auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    your a starting member and you SPAM me?,thanks alot,no really thanks,always wanted chinese CRAP * knives! hope the mod catches this one and SCOLDS you about this.

NO RESPECT!,

Remdog[:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how about some "original" snubnose pics taken from a gunshow.

Remdog

origsnubnose-2.jpg

origsnubnose-3.jpg

origsnubnose.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes those are originals,i got them from another persons post in another forum,i was so amped when i saw them myself bro![:0]

Remdog,

"if it's still movin it ain't dead"(me)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i know they had plenty of stories to tellmy friend,these pics were taken by someone else though,sorry if i confused you bro didn't mean to.if you hadn't already check out my photobucket site and enjoy!

Remdog

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/mike6975/
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How's the accuracy & recoil on the shortened pieces? I really like the idea of a pocket sized .45 long colt.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here a article from "guns of the old west" hope this gives you some insight.

Remdog

1860SNUBBY.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any specifics on muzzle velocities from snubbies?
    A max charge out of a 5 1/2" 36 Pocket Police gives almost the same velocity as a full length 36 Navy.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice!
    I made a repro into a snubby.
    I have a Pietta 1860 Army. I liked the pistol, but it was cumbersome. I just didn't like the way it handled, barrel heavy.
    I removed the loading lever.
    Then I got out my favorite gunsmithing tool, the Sawzall. If you do this, be sure to use the metal cutting blade.
    I cut the barrel down to 4 inches. Got a file and did a home made crown, and smoothed the outside edges.
    Pistol handles a lot better now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey V35 and allen i appreciate your input and will try to find the answers on the muzzle velocity question.what i would like to know myself is what grain (3f or 4f)would be better in a snubby because there is very little barrell for the powder to burn up ,what would be the best grain size to use?.but like my above article shows,i wouldn't want to be on the other end of the gun with .452 138grain bullet with a cylinder full of powder.think about this fellows if we used a conversion cylinder with this,we now would get a 250 grain bullet contained inside a brass shell now tha t would be devastating,either would turn heads when they go off!!!!.

ok allen lets see some of those pics of what you did to the 60' army if you got them my friend.

Respectfully,

Tha Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have the pistol right here, in fact, I keep it loaded.
    On my old computer I couldn't load photos from the camera into the computer. I just got this computer 3 days ago but it, too, is an old dial up my girlfriend got from work. It is at least 6 years old.
    I doubt I can load photos on this thing, either, but if I can I will post some of my home made snubbie.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    good for allen,is that your "home" pistol,if so thats awesome!!,there have been countless of threads and pages ridiculing people of using a bp pistol for home defense.my 2-cents is your used to having,handling,and carrying one why re-invent the wheel,i'm all for it and i think you should voice your opinion every chance you get,like i do.sorry for the ramblin my friend [:)]

Respectfully,

Remdog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'm still lookin for that muzzle energy and velocity data,there are programs out there that calculate info for you (i link it if you want) but they don't let you input a barrel lentgh,i'll keep lookin though.

Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I hear people making fun of the cap and ball for a home defense load.
    I guess they ought to study the story of Wild Bill Hickock's famous shot through the heart of Dave Tutt at 75 yards.
    That was with an 1851 Navy, a .36 caliber.

Whatever a .36 will do, a .44 will do better.
    I wouldn't want to get one in the chest from my Colt Army from across the living room.
    Plus, what the bad guy doesn't know, I am also using chemical warfare, ie, the 'ole smoke screen.
    One shot, the room is full of smoke, he can't see anything, I drop to the floor, and start shooting him in the knees, that is, if he is still standing, which he probably will not be.

I just rechecked my snubbie, it is a 4 1/2 inch barrel, not a 4 inch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know enough about 4FG powder in a 36 or 44 percussion. Pressure with finer powder is claimed to be higher.
    I did chronograph a 3 1/2" barreled Merwin Hulbert 44-40 revolver.
    Powder was 40 grains of Dupont (yes,I still have some) 3Fg.
    Cases were folded head and velocities were 818fps with 215 gr Lee bullet and 811 fps with 225 gr cast Lyman bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info V35,when you say a 3" inch barrel,is that from the forcing cone to end of barrel,making it 3"inches?,sorry if i sound dumb,but i want to know the maximum lentgh to stay a true "snubby".your data sounds great though,i imagine the velocity would drop a little in a .45 caliber load rb or case.

Respectfully,[:D]

Remdog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Barrel length was measured from end to end of the barrel.
    There's no forcing cone on the MH. Rifling exists the total length of the barrel.
    A lighter bullet ahead of 40 grains of 3f will give you more velocity.
    I don't remember if you can get 40 grains into a Remington or Colt Army cylinder.
  • Options
    twaitstwaits Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one of mine:

IMGP3848.jpg