In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Traditions vs Thompson Center Hawken Flintlock

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I've been brousing around online at Hawken flintlocks and knoticed that the T/C is about 2x as much as the traditions. Is traditions a POS? I was looking for one to learn on and see if I like black powder. However, I don't want a POS to start out with either. Anyone have any experience with the two brands of flintlocks? I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

This is also posted in ask the experts but thought I'd stick it here as well so I might get feedback from more people.

Comments

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, Traditions sidelock muzzleloaders are not junk; many people are very happy with them. There are several things to consider though - like the fact that Traditions no longer makes/imports sidelocks. A firm called Deer Creek bought up the supply of replacement parts. And while the folks at Deer Creek are very good, there is a finite number of replacement parts available - when they're gone, they're gone.

Thompsen Center has a lifetime warranty on their muzzleloaders - doesn't matter if you're the original purchaser or not. As long as a problem isn't a result of abuse or neglect (corrosion due to a lack of cleaning, etc.) they'll fix it. Traditions uses unbridled locks; Thompsen Center's locks are bridled (the bridle is a support and second pivot point for the tumbler, on the inside of the lock). Traditions uses hardwood stocks (usually but not always beech) and TC uses walnut. And TC muzzleloaders are made in the USA. Traditions were imported from Ardessa, Spain.

It's kind of like comparing a Chevy to a Buick. Both get the job done. But one is a Buick.

Good luck and have fun with whichever you choose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that reply. Didn't know that about traditions. I knew they were imported, which is a negative for me. So far all my guns are 100% american made. I've continued browsing and found a clearnce on the T/C so it's about 60 bucks cheaper now. T/C also has better sights. I'm starting to lean towards the T/C. I'm also thinking that if I decide to sell that the T/C my be easier to sell. However, I'm starting to get excited about a flintlock. Almost bought one a few years ago but didn't. It just may have to be an early christmas present to myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided to go for the thompson. Already ordered and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    T/C is the only way to go ... better sights and better guarantee and I like the T/C trigger better, too.