In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What size ball for .56 caliber T/C Smoothbore?

rljonesrljones Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
I have purchased a T/C .56 caliber smooth bore rifle. Can I use anything other than a .550 sized ball? I want to cast my own lead balls and that size mold is hard to find. I would like to know if there are any other sizes that I could use. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rcav22rcav22 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a T/C smoothbore [you must live in Mass.}.550 is the best ball you can shoot. I use a .550 and a 15 thousands patch with 100 gr of Pyrodex, good out 75+ yards. I cast my own balls, the ones you can buy are swaged which makes them out of round. Casting your own is the way to go. If you have a problem finding a mold message me we might be able to work out something. rcav22@netscape.net
  • Options
    FazulkaFazulka Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same rifle, I guess it was only sold for a few years. I found a place to order a mold thats reasonable. http://ballmoulds.co.uk/ It was $40 including shipping, and I bought lee handles for 12.99 else where. I have received it yet, i just ordered the mold today.

My question for you guys is where can I find pure lead to cast the balls from? The manual on the t/c arms website says plumbing supply places, but i don't know where any are. I live in concord, ma.

Thanks!
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    "My question for you guys is where can I find pure lead to cast the balls from? The manual on the t/c arms website says plumbing supply places, but i don't know where any are. I live in concord, ma."

Hey, something I can help with. [8D]

Try this link.

http://tinyurl.com/y9l47zo

Allen