In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling Concern

CaliBillyCaliBilly Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hello All,

I'm getting ready to sell my first firearm here, an 1862 Police, 2nd Gen, and I'm a bit confused on one point.

Obviously I cannot sell my firearm to a potential buyer who is prohibited from owning a firearm. How do I determine if the buyer is legal?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are very few laws covering the selling of muzzel loading, black powder weapons. They are not considered firearms. Most sellers I have delt with ask for a copy of ID, to prove over age 18, along with a statement that they are not prohibited from owning the item in question.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By Federal law, you can sell the muzzleloader to anybody.
    You must beware of state and local laws, however. In some cases these are more strict than Federal law.
    In New Jersey, for example, you could not sell that pistol to a convicted felon.
    Wash. DC very strict also, as well as Chicago.
  • Options
    CaliBillyCaliBilly Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies guys.

It seems I'm pretty safe. It seems I've got to check the laws of the state the buyer is in, get a copy of their drivers license, and get a statement in which the buyer states he is allowed to own a firearm.