In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CVA cannon

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
A friend gave me a cute little CVA cannon. Kind of neat, but I have not fired it yet. What is the best kind of fuse to use?

Comments

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the naval cannon in .45 caliber. I have never had the urge to fire it. I am sure that the recoil would send it flying, doing irreparable damage to the carriage. I believe you can buy the fuse you desire at any hobby store. For my other endeavors I purchased fuse from Dixie Gun Works.[;)] Ed
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have built cannons and mortars from scratch for years,,,just don't over charge on the black powder 25-35 grains is plenty on small scale tubes and you will be fine...any decent gun shop or Dixie gun works will have the fuse your looking for..or if you want to get to extreme and have fire upon demand..set it up with toy rocket ignition system and push button detonator....[:D]
  • Options
    dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're over-complicating it. Rev War cannon were primed with loose powder, and lit with a linstock (match). Think they were still doing it that way in the Civil war too, but I was retired by then.

There's probably a small depression at the top of the touchhole for overflow powder to lie in. Just prime the hole with some priming powder and touch a match to it
    By the way BLACK POWDER ONLY; NO SMOKELESS! AND WASH HER GOOD WHEN YOU FINISH SHOOTING.
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most of the small cannon do not have a flash pan but you can drill a slight taper at the vent to allow for it if you decide to use a linstock method..was just trowing out an option