In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornady SST sabot

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
I'm somewhat of a muzzleloading novice. I've owned ML rifles for 35 years and hunted with one off and on for years. This year I got a look at a really big buck but wasn't able to score on him during rifle season due to a lot of crop still standing. I'm hoping to get a crack at him in ML season and dragged the old beast out for some testing. So many choices since I used it 4-5 years ago. My son donated his excess/unused projo stash including enough of the SST 300 grain to shootin my scope and hunt. I'm shooting a Knight inline .50 w/777 pellets (2x50gr) and ML 209 primers w/Knight primer holders. My son had good results with a similar load in his NEF .50BP. Anyone have experience with this bullet performance in front of 2 pellets of 777? If I get a shot at the big one, I sure want to get him down.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a good bullet.
    I have killed 2 deer with the 250 SST with my Savage. The one two years ago was the biggest deer I ever have shot, and I have shot over 90.
    My neighbor brought over the scale, the Bad Boy field dressed at 255 pounds.
    He was quartering away, I made the lung shot and the bullet blew out the far shoulder and exited, that was a seriously dead deer. Two inch exit wound, it was really something.
    I am shooting the Savage with smokeless so I am cranking out more speed than you can get, I am doing 2,300 fps.

The 300 gr. will work for you but you will get better expansion with the 250.

The Hornady SST is the great classic inline bullet.