In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what firearms for CAS?

KulaKula Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
kind of just stumbled on to this website and thought i could get a little info.
Most of my guns are trap guns but i inherited a 41 mag, a ruger blackhawk 22 and some generic 12 gauge side by side coach gun
wondering if i could use these in competition.
the 41 mag has a really long barrel which would make drawing it quickly a real problem but the blackhawk would be ideal if the 22's size is not a handicap.
ideas?
thank u

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you must really load down the 41 to use it.

the 22 is only legal in the "buckeroo" class, so since you are on here and typing i assume you are older than that. also there is no such thing as a ruger blackhawk in 22, it is probaly a single six, look somewhat similar, but much smaller.

coach gun would work fine, do you have a rifle yet?
  • KulaKula Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no rifle yet. thanks for the info
    i will have to check the 22. it is in a blackhawk box.
    Doesnt really matter i guess as i am no buckeroo :)))
  • tecdactecdac Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're thinking of getting into CAS get thee to a local match. Even if you don't have the right guns the cowboys there will be more than happy to show you what you need to get started. Be prepared for some sticker shock, it's not a cheap hobby. But it is a lot of fun and you'll meet some of the best folks around.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 handguns either centerfire or black powder depending on your catagory of choice.
    a pistol caliber carbine leverguns are most common,some use pumps.
    a model 97 pump shotgun or double barrel.I think single shots are allowed now also.
    all the info you need is at

www.sassnet.com
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .41 mag. will work as a main match gun. You will have to load it down somewhat as magnum loads are not allowed and no one I know loads CAS loads in the .41 magnum.

I used two .41 Ruger Blackhawks and a Marlin lever action rifle in the same caliber for years with good results. The double will work for you and as far as speed goes it should not be an issue as you are just getting into the game. Go slow and be safe and have a good time.

Unsafe gun handling will get you an invite "NOT" to come back next month.

Bode