In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to Muzzleloading

MAdWizardMAdWizard Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have just bought a replacia 1863 Remington Zouave from GB. It was my poot luck that the rifle did not come with an instuction booklet.
What I need to know is what equipment I need to get, what powder & primer to use and what shot to use? The rifle did come with a really cheap and cheeze powder flasj made from what I think my be brass.

T.I.A.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys, im new to the sport and hoping you guys can throw some info in my direction. i guess im looking for do's, dont's, maybe what 'loads' you have used...which you believe work good (deer, elk, etc), bullets, cleaners, etc etc ive never shot one and im getting pretty dang anxious to hit the range...so anything you can offer up would be great!

if it matters, its a knight revolution II.

many thanks.

scott
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those rifles.
    I shoot .570 round balls with 70 grains of ffg black powder.
    You can also shoot Minie balls, just use 60 or 70 grains black powder.
    Try the .575 Minie ball.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well that covers the shot, but what about gear and powder?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to dixiegun.com

Get Old Zip Patch Lube for lubing the patches.
    Get pillow ticking and cut your own patches.
    Get a nice brass powder measure. You don't need a powder horn, but if you want one, why not?
    There is a little plastic fitting that screws on top of the powder can, instead of the lid. It is funnel shaped. It allows you to pour powder directly into the measure without spilling.
    Probably costs a buck fifty, you just screw it on while at the range.

Find a good gun store nearby and buy a pound of Goex ffg black powder.
    Also you need a tin of musket caps. Perhaps you can get them from Dixie without incurring the hazmat fee.
  • Options
    Fletcher PastoreFletcher Pastore Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who manufactured the Zouave? Regardless of the manufacturer, these rifles were not rifled to shoot patched round balls. They are designed to shoot minne balls. I have found that most of them will require a .577 to .580 minne ball. you will find that 45 to 50 grains of FFF black powder does a very good job out to at least 150 yards, and yes this is quite adequate for whitetail sized game.I am not sure what your issue is with the powder flask. You will need a measure for the powder. You of course need musket caps. You can use crisco in the base of the minne for lubrication. You need a cleaning rod, and cleaning patches. Multi surface cleaner with vinegar works well for cleaning. If you have trouble locating black powder you should try Hodgdon 777 black powder substitute. You will have to reduce charge weights about 15% if you use this.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1