In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moving stuff near my deer stand

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I was out to check my very best deer stand, and what do I find ... a tent and camping gear inside. I saw some kids put it up last spring not 40 feet from my stand. And it is still there. It looks rather abandoned now.

The question is this ... are the deer so used to it that I'd best leave it right there? [?]

My muzzle loader season doesn't start for a month, so things would have time to settle if I dragged it out. Or should I just leave it set? [?]

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the deer are used to it, but I would get rid of it anyway.
    The wind might blow a flap of the tent, and * a deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. The other thing that is looking good ... the number of acorns is twice or three times the normal. I hope they last until December!
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who owns the land?? If it was set up by the landowners kids you may want to check with him first. Im sure they never plan on returning, but you never know. Its a shame that they just left there stuff out there to spoil. Its an even bigger shame that you are the one that has to clean up after them. Unfortunately they have probably been to busy stuck in front of the latest video game.

Good luck this season
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's public land. And I think you're right. They probably have no intention of using it again ... it must be pretty moldy by now and the poles have pretty much given out. I may just leave it until after deer season so as not to disturb the area. The deer must be accustomed to it by now.
  • Options
    kspairkspair Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My only concern would be that it serves as a "flag" for the curious and you might lose a stand in the process.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boy, that would be a bummer ... it is my best stand!
  • Options
    broknaxlbroknaxl Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may be kinda late, but I'd just collapse it and leave it lay. Make sure its flattened out pretty good. Let us know if you got a deer!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The tent had collapsed on its own, and now it is pretty much covered with snow. I'll drag it away after the hunting season. And my deer is still on the hoof ... hiding out somewhere! [V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, here's to let you know. I made it out to my stand on Saturday morning at 9:30. I have not been able to (or to be more accurate ... did not choose to) make it out at 6:00 when the serious hunters are shivering in the dark at 19 oF. Anyway, I did get there and at 10:30 I hear a whole lot of noise in the crunchy leaves and crusty snow coming up the ridge behind my stand. I'm not sure there is a behind since it is so well placed. I carefully look over there and here come four deer! (There were two good sized does and two little fawns.) I did not have a clear shot because of twigs and bushes so I waited them out. And they went into the trees. I used my grunt call a bit, but that did not seem to do much.

Then a bit later all four filed down the front side of the ridge 40 yards right in front of my stand. The does were really on the look-out, and I shot the biggest doe (I'm a meat hunter), and the others just milled around for quite a while. One of the fawns walked to about ten feet of my stand! With a muzzle loader my follow-up shot is not so fast ... so the other three walked out of my life. No problem ... I wasn't going to shoot another deer anyway. I only had one antlerless tag, and we only need one deer. There are two more weeks to the season, but we're fine with one deer. Lot's of deer meat for the dear wife and me. We registered the deer and butchered it together two days later. The liver tasted good!

It was a spine shot ... seems like I do have a tendency to shoot high out of my stand especially when shooting down the ridge. too. I'm not sure how to practice for that over at the range.

I'll drag the old tent out at some point.

When I arrive at the edge of the woods I was met by some irate, vulgar, anti-hunters.

Anyway, they had already called the police. Turns out that one of the ladies who said she worked at town hall, she knew I could not hunt there. (I had previously checked at town hall to make sure it was OK.) They were not happy folks and were eagerly waiting for the police to arrive.

When the police came that said more hunters should call when they get harassed. People are so sure they are in the right about everything ... especially people walking dogs not on a leash. Now that is illegal, but the folks with the dogs has already gone into the woods. Too bad ... that would have been funny to see them get a ticket or get arrested as they had planned for me!

I knew one of the officers from seeing him over at the gun club ... he really says that they need to be getting more calls from the hunters! I figure that the police have more important things to do, than arrest anti-hunter dog walkers.

Sorry this has gotten so long, but you asked!