In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

metalic cartridge.

glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
Does any one load 45-70.I load 45-70 for my rolling blocks.I use Goex powder.60 grns of 2F with a 403 bullet.I have just read on the Goex site that they recomend 1F.Any one else use 1F.

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1F burns dirtier. It works best in "overbore" rifles (.60 on up). You probably can't get 70 grains of 1F in modern cases.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If using Goex I use 2F. The only time I use a larger granulation is with Swiss powder, 1.5F. If you want to experiment, within the Goex family, try Goex Cartridge.
    About four years ago I started using Wano 2F, which is imported by Graf & Sons and sold under their name. It's very economical and very high quality. The difference in accuracy between Graf and Swiss isn't enough to justify three times the price.
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave up on black in every trapdoor rifle I have owned (I think 7 total). Down to only 2 now (and soon 1 as another one goes up for sale at the next gunshow). Got tired of the groups opening up to resemble a shotgun pattern after about 7 or 8 shots when using black (I tried 2F Goex and 2F elephant). Anyway, my standard load is to set the blackpowder measure at 60 grains, then use pyrodex RS and load a 20:1 lead/tin lee hollow base bullet (405 grains). I follow S. Wolfs advice and open up my primer flash holes too, and use a magnum primer. My trapdoor I am keeping averages 3 shots into 2 1/2" at 100 yards and with my eyes and those sights and the trigger pull...I am quite happy with that! Have done over 30 straight and with the pyrodex it shoots the last groups as tight as the first groups. I know some people will NEVER EVER EVER shoot pyrodex regardles of the results but you asked if anyone loads 45-70 and i load a LOT of it for the old guns. Love the smoke, the smell, the boom, and the accuracy of the stuff.
  • blacktomblacktom Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello
    We shoot at a range that allows you to pick up your own brass. Other brass is for the guy who cleans the range, I am told. My question is how do you shooters mark or identify your own brass. My wife and I shoot at least 300 t0 400 ends a week. I have a good stock of brass but I want to stay ahead of the game here by reloading my brass 4 or 5 times!
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blacktom
    Hello
    We shoot at a range that allows you to pick up your own brass. Other brass is for the guy who cleans the range, I am told. My question is how do you shooters mark or identify your own brass. My wife and I shoot at least 300 t0 400 ends a week. I have a good stock of brass but I want to stay ahead of the game here by reloading my brass 4 or 5 times!

When arriving at the range, look on the floor. Pick a shooting position that doesn't have your caliber laying about.

After you are finished with the session, pick up the brass that matches the stamping on the barrel of your firearm. Best, Joe
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I "paint" the case area all around the primer with a black permanent marker on my blackpowder loads. quote:Originally posted by blacktom
    Hello
    edited November -1
    This is great information. How big do you open the primer flashholes up? quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    I gave up on black in every trapdoor rifle I have owned (I think 7 total). Down to only 2 now (and soon 1 as another one goes up for sale at the next gunshow). Got tired of the groups opening up to resemble a shotgun pattern after about 7 or 8 shots when using black (I tried 2F Goex and 2F elephant). Anyway, my standard load is to set the blackpowder measure at 60 grains, then use pyrodex RS and load a 20:1 lead/tin lee hollow base bullet (405 grains). I follow S. Wolfs advice and open up my primer flash holes too, and use a magnum primer. My trapdoor I am keeping averages 3 shots into 2 1/2" at 100 yards and with my eyes and those sights and the trigger pull...I am quite happy with that! Have done over 30 straight and with the pyrodex it shoots the last groups as tight as the first groups. I know some people will NEVER EVER EVER shoot pyrodex regardles of the results but you asked if anyone loads 45-70 and i load a LOT of it for the old guns. Love the smoke, the smell, the boom, and the accuracy of the stuff.
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf found original cases had a 0.096" diameter flash hole, that corresponds to a #41 drill bit but he says you can use a 3/32" bit (0.094"). I mark my modified cases with a 3 cornered file, on the rim, so i can avoid confusing them and use them for a smokeless load. A disclaimer should be added here. In Wolfs book ("Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine") he specifies that his methods worked only in his gun and anybody following his advice does so at their own risk. I could not agree more...manufacturers are adamant that you not enlarge flash holes, compress powder, etc. I highly recommend Wolfs book and reading all safety precautions required to make accurate 45-70 trapdoor loads. He found original ammo he had (from the 1800's) shot great but his modern BP loads shot poorly, then did tons of work determining why. I guess he even talked Lee into making the 45-70 hollow base bullet mould. He talks about compression ratios of the BP, taper crimping, etc.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dandak1 quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    Wolf found original cases had a 0.096" diameter flash hole, that corresponds to a #41 drill bit but he says you can use a 3/32" bit (0.094"). I mark my modified cases with a 3 cornered file, on the rim, so i can avoid confusing them and use them for a smokeless load. A disclaimer should be added here. In Wolfs book ("Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine") he specifies that his methods worked only in his gun and anybody following his advice does so at their own risk. I could not agree more...manufacturers are adamant that you not enlarge flash holes, compress powder, etc. I highly recommend Wolfs book and reading all safety precautions required to make accurate 45-70 trapdoor loads. He found original ammo he had (from the 1800's) shot great but his modern BP loads shot poorly, then did tons of work determining why. I guess he even talked Lee into making the 45-70 hollow base bullet mould. He talks about compression ratios of the BP, taper crimping, etc.