In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage ml

slurpin dogslurpin dog Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Anyone useing a savage smokeless powder muzzle loader? Would like to hear what success you have had.

Comments

• Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slurpin dog
    Anyone useing a savage smokeless powder muzzle loader? Would like to hear what success you have had.

I have a SS 10ml with a laminate stock. Scoped with a Bushnell Banner Rifle scope. I love this gun! Just got my first deer with it Wednesday. 50 yard shot, 300 gr. Hornady .45 HPXTP sabot. 25 gr Blackhorn. I have shot this rifle with smokeless and it is dead on accurate at 100 yds, >1" group. We can't hunt with smokeless in NJ but Blackhorn is almost as good.

This is the best, bar none, in-line Muzzle loader on the market.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, your shooting Blackhorn in the Savage. Glad to hear it does so well.
    You didn't mean 25 grains did you?

I have had my Savage for 6 years. Great rifle. I got 1 1/2 inch groups right out of the box.
    I shot a big 8 pointer a year ago and still haven't cleaned the rifle.

It is great to shoot a deer, and spend the day skinning, and quartering the deer, and not have to worry about cleaning the rifle.
    Of course, this is with smokeless powder.

The only downside is the Savage is sensitive to a hot barrel. If the barrel heats up your groups get bad.
    In a summer day at the range you have to wait fifteen minutes between shots.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    So, your shooting Blackhorn in the Savage. Glad to hear it does so well.
    You didn't mean 25 grains did you?

I am not sure where the 25 came from. I used 120 "volumetric units". I haven't chronographed the load but the data shows around 2,000 fps with the 300 gr. bullet I used.

I wish I could use smokeless. I am thankful we can use in line rifles here in flat NJ. There is no other rifle hunting for deer here. .22lr is the max for rabbits, squirrels etc. The only other rifle hunting allowed is for ground hogs, then you can use anything as long as the bullet is under 100 gr. They really hate groundhogs here in the Garden State....

I am going out again Friday. Here's hoping for another, won't have to buy a pig this year.

By the way Allen, I have you to thank for getting me into the 10ml. When I was looking a few years ago, your posts were very helpful and convinced me to look close at the Savage. It beats all of the competition and is a heckuva lot more fun to hunt with than my shotgun.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad to have been of assistance, matchshot.