In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Revolvers used by Clint Eastwood ?

cocogunscocoguns Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
What cap lock revolvers allow you to change cylinders so quickly as in the Clint Eastwood movies ? It seems you need to remove the cylinder pin far enough to get the cylinder out, still able to put it back quickly ?

Comments

• bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one that you are thinking of is a REMINGTON NEW ARMY that was modified to use a cartridge.
    Another one used was a 1851 colt navy again modified to use a cartridge.
  • dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobbyrose is right on target.
    The revolver Clint uses in Pale Rider was indeed an 1858 Remington army modified to take a cartridge cylinder. Said cylinders are available on the auction side.
    You drop the loading lever (which has had the plunger removed)pull out the cylinder pin, switch cylinders, push in the cylinder pin and loading lever, cock and fire. Spare cylinders were carried in belt pouches during the civil war, even for percussion revolvers. Much easier with a Remington, than with a Colt, where you have to take off the barrel to swap cylinders, hence Colt went more for a back plate mounted on the frame, with the back of the cylinder exposed to a loading gate. I have some of each and they are fun to shoot
  • dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correction: the scene with the swapped cylinders was the High Plains Drifter, as I recall, not Pale Rider
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmc1
    Correction: the scene with the swapped cylinders was the High Plains Drifter, as I recall, not Pale Rider

I don't think so! In High Plains Drifter, Clint used a Colt single action army didn't he? In which he would not need to change cylinders.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Kirst Cartridge Coversion if you want to make an 1858 Remington shoot 45lc. I have one and it works pretty good. Just not cheap.

Hears a review from awhile back.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75074
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were right the first time dsmc1. It was Pale Rider that he did the cylinder swap.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wondered, since the wicked marshall was such an evil SOB, why didn't he shoot Clint while he was changing cylinders?
  • Kate SudarkinaKate Sudarkina Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low-Ride Holster
    The Production division has been growing rapidly in recent years, and in many regions it is now the largest and most competition class. Reasons for this vary, but primarily it appeals to many for its simplicity, reduced costs, and a return to the "more practical days" of Practical Shooting.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're gonna get a tall pine tree, and a short rope, for spam con artists like Ugly Kate.