In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who shoots flintlocks?

madcastermadcaster Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
Besides me?[^]

Comments

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do....I have a repro New England fowler, a French Tulle musket, and a Kentucky long rifle. I have been shooting flinters since I got out of the service thirty seven years ago..

I live in upstate New York, French & Indian War country..its kind of in the blood[:)]
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do! I currently have two, a TC Hawken .50 and a Traditions Pennsylvania-style Long Rifle .50. I have had both for a long time; I shoot traditional patched round ball and black powder with them, with modest success. Here in PA about 40 years ago the Game Commission established a special deer hunting season for primitive rifles, had to be a flintlock ignition with open iron sights ONLY. That special season was after Christmas, and lasted a long time, several weeks, and I loved to hunt then. Hunting pressure was slight; you were out in the coldest time of year, with usually plenty of snow. The special license gave you the right to shoot a buck if you hadn't harvested one in the regular season, or a doe. I especially liked still hunting, walking slowly and quietly in the mostly-deserted snowy woods. Some things have changed over the years, but the special after-Christmas flintlock-only season is still here in PA. And it sure takes me back to my youthful imagination, grounded in "Leatherstocking Tales", Daniel Boone, etc.
  • Options
    sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautifully put, PASHOOTIST.
    Makes me want to get out there!
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I do. Check my old post "No Inlines Here" Pics of my custom flinters along with my matchlock.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=353814
  • Options
    dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me in too. Love the smell of smoke in my face.
    Joined a Rev War reenactment group in 74 and was made safety officer because I was the only member who had shot before. Shot at a few competitions with the smoothbore musket. And just this past year, after years of traipsing around the mountains of northern NH, carrying a relatively modern weapon, (my grandfather's 100 year old Remington model 8) got a 4 point buck (my first)in my backyard in Danvers Mass'tts with a 50 cal flint kentucky rifle. One shot thru the chest thru 40 yards of thick brush, and he dropped in his tracks. Reloaded by feel with an unpatched ball (thanks to my militia training) while keeping my eyes on him, and by the time he struggled back to his feet, I was ready to put him down for the count.
    Do all my hunting now with the flintlocks. Make premeasured paper cartridges of shot for the musket just like the militias used so I can hunt rabbit or pheasant with the flint musket. Can post instructions to make them if anyone needs it. could even use shot cartridges in a rifle this way.

Have a friend with an inline percussion rifle with a scope, and I can shoot circles around him. finally convinced him to remove the scope: they're useless in the woods around here.
  • Options
    gh64gh64 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will join the flintlocks; T/C White Mountain Carbine with a scope.
    (go figure)
  • Options
    wsm 325wsm 325 Member Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i do also. i have 3 of them. fun to shoot
  • Options
    44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOES ANYONE MAKE SOMETHING ELSE?
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I do, have a 32 southern mtn rifle, 3-45 ky/pa long rifles, 54 souther VA rifle, 58 trade gun built by Curly and used in the move "last of the mohicians". a 62 smooth bore southern rifle, and a 75 cal Bess. I have a 45 cal KY pistol as well. Love the flash of powder in my eyes![;)]
  • Options
    1st Air Cav1st Air Cav Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frontier Long rifle in .50, doglock musket in .69, Baker rifle in .62, Traditions Deerhunter in .50, yup, I'm into the flinters![:D]
  • Options
    liftkiltliftkilt Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5 flintlocks. One .45 Pennsylvania style rifle (started as a Pedersoli but became custom), Two muskets, and three pistols (.44, .45 and .58) I prefer them to any other fun except maybe my SMLE.
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 50. Got it 3 years ago after wanting a flinter (and to hunt in flintlock season) I decided to part with the cash and try it.

I
    Am
    Hooked

I took a doe the year before last with a neck shot at 70-80 yards, patched round ball.
    The rifle will shoot as well as I can, sometimes better.
  • Options
    blacktomblacktom Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello
    Sadly, there is such a lack of information about how to shoot traditional muzzleloading guns, both flintlocks and percussion guns, that the consumer is left with whatever is the newest fad, and whatever the clerk at the local Wal-Mart doesn't know about guns. Cap and ball guns are close enough to cartridge guns, and even to the in-line actions, that clerks can't steer you too far wrong if you choose to buy a modern rifle or double-barreled percussion shotgun.

But, put a flintlock on the shelf and no one knows how to make it go bang, beyond that you have to put this rock in the cock (hammer), and hope it sparks, and hope the sparks hit the powder in the priming pan, and then hope the main charge in the barrel is ignited. It all sounds like so much hard work that consumers just don't want the guns anymore.

With the new in-line actions, you use #209 shotgun primers, the same as used to reload modern shotgun shells. You use black powder substitutes like Triple Se7en and Pyrodex, and sometimes this comes in pre-measured pellets, so you don't have to measure any powder! Then we have plastic wads instead of cloth, and jacketed pistol bullets instead of round lead balls.

Because everything goes down the muzzle, we (properly) call them muzzle loaders, and pretend we are doing things the way Daniel Boone and Davie Crockett, or the men on the Lewis & Clark Expedition did it 200 years ago. Add to that bad legislation passed by Congress to give us a little more false security, which restricts how black powder is sold transported and stored, and even finding a store that carries black powder is a chore. Finding Flints? Where do you start to look? If you live on the West coast, you are a long way from Friendship, and even Arizona, where the NMLRA holds it winter matches and all the products you need are available, just like at mountain rendezvous in the 1820's.
  • Options
    littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been wanting to start but I'm a lefty can I use a right hand gun without getting my eyes put out or burned
  • Options
    dsmc1dsmc1 Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use goggles. Even with perccusion, you can get blowback. I got a piece of a cap in the eye once years ago from a Remington 1858 cap and ball revolver. And THAT was at arms length, not right in front of my face like a rifle would be.

Try it out at the range, if you have a friend that shoots one; or go to a rendezvous or black powder shoot: Those guys are a great bunch and always willing to let someone try a weapon, if they want to get into the sport.

Then IF you decide you're interested, look into a lefthand flintlock; there are some around. I THINK Dixie Gun Works may have one listed. trying to cock the hammer would be awkward for a leftie on a right hand weapon. May even find something on the Auction side here.

Have fun!
  • Options
    littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks I have been shooting percusion for a while I do mustly squirrel hunting and a left hand .32 is very hard to find if anyone even makes one. I am right hand but left eye dominant and have tried left hand bolt actions and autoloaders but they felt very akward I don't have any problem with the hammmer on my percusions or working may trapdoor but have never tried a left hand muzzleloader
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    new to flinters but hope late pa season will be good to me still need some sugested loads. have a 50 and 54
  • Options
    forza328forza328 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting flint for a while, mostly military muskets, 1st and 2nd Bess, Charleville and a Pedersoli rifle. Littlegun, absolutely use shooting glasses but even with those, I wouldn't want to shoot a right handed flintlock from the left side. You don't want the pan to vent across your face. There are left handed guns out there, you just need to search a bit.
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shot flinters lots of fun cap locks too looking to get my first inline, but they seem more like a single shot riffle to me not much challange,